Couple Chuck Questions

TurboDog

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm about to do my first chuck roast on the UDS. I got a two pack of Angus chucks from Sams , the whole pack weighs 8.5 pounds , but one of the roasts looks a little bigger than the other. I'd say one is 4 pounds and one 4 and a half. I'm going to freeze one for later use , I'll be cooking the bigger of the two today. I have read through quite a few of the chuck threads here and have somewhat of a game plan based on the info.

My plan is to get the drum up to about 250, rub the chuck roast with Plowboys Bovine Bold , put the chuck roast directly on the drum at this temp and let it take on smoke for a couple hours , or until internal temp is around 160-165. At that point I intend to put it in a foil pan with a little beef broth and maybe a little additional rub , seal it up tight with foil to keep the moisture in , and let it finish like that until it's done , which from what I gather is around 205 degrees but more by feel than anything.

Here are my questions before I get started.....

1. Is my plan ok , or am I screwing up somewhere?

2. Is that rub a good choice for chuck? Ive never used it before and would have no objection to using only salt and pepper if it will work better.

3. Timing , I'm about to head outside and get the drum ready right now and it will probably be ready for meat around Noon. I would like to have dinner at around 6 P.M. Considering a 4.5 pound roast starting at Noon , 2 hours at 250 degrees , going into foil and liquid at 2 P.M. , should I raise the pit temp to have it done in time? to say 350 or so?

4. How well does chuck take on smoke? Should I go heavy like i would for a Butt , or lighter like for poultry or somewhere between?

I did a 3 1/2lb chuck sunday seasoned with montreal, haven't tried bovine even though I love it on brisket - ran @ 275 for 2.5 hours foiled with broth and continued @ 275+ for another 2.5 hours and then pull it off and rested for 1/2 hour- was super moist and tender, fat had rendered well and the smoke ring was about 1/2" deep

Your plan looks pretty good, I might suggest bumping the temp up a bit to help render the fat a bit better.

Yep. Good plan. The chuck will absorb plenty of smoke while it gets up to ~160. Then when panned and foiled you can ramp the temp up to 350 with no problem. When you pan, you can put some cut up taters, onion and carrots in with the meat too...:becky:

I've only done a chuckie one time, but after much advice that they tend to dry out a bit, I did it THIS way. Turned out REALLY good.

I've only done a chuckie one time, but after much advice that they tend to dry out a bit, I did it THIS way. Turned out REALLY good.

That reminds me. I bought one of these thingies
attachment.php
because of that thread. Works like a charm. Thanks Wamp!

Well , that looks a lot like what I had in mind , except I don't have the dark beer or jalpenos , I could use a regular beer , and I got some onions........

:doh:

Well.....I guess I blasted through your original post too fast. I do see (now :roll:) that you are planning on panning and brothing it.

I do think that the beer added a different depth of flavor than just beef broth. You'll end up with plenty of beef broth from the roast itself anyway. I also thought that the garlic, onion and peppers really made a great difference in the flavor of the meat as well. It was really "garlicky", but not overly so. The garlic really did compliment the beef well.

Here's the original recipe that I used:
http://wolfepit.blogspot.com/2009/10/pepper-stout-beef.html

Similar to Wamps but no beer and I did pan and foil - here was my method

Kettle cooked pot roast. Took the chucks to 160 in a 300 degree kettle with lump and a few oak chunks (Rubbed with The Rub Co.'s Santa Maria Style), then panned with bell peppers, onions, carrots and baby Yukon gold taters with beef broth mixed with cayenne, celery seed, celery flakes, crushed rosemary, a little worsy and Bragg's cider apple vinegar and amino acids then back on the kettle to finish. Let the chucks get to a nice slicing temp, just shy of pulled beef.

roast-2.jpg

Took to slicing temp just shy of pulled beef - very tender

meatntaters.jpg

Here we go

An we're off.......

I got the drum started like usual , Hickory , apple and cherry chunks...

P1050951.jpg

P1050952.jpg

P1050953.jpg

P1050956.jpg

P1050958.jpg

P1050961.jpg

Gotta wait for all this thick white smoke to clear up

P1050963.jpg

Rubbed the meat down with the plowboys bovine bold

P1050948.jpg

P1050949.jpg

White smoke gone , temp is where I want it , or close enough for my standards anyhow

P1050966.jpg

Meat on the pit , was right at Noon , notice my temperature probe arrangement. I have two probes from the maverick on either side of the meat and the turkey fry just under it. It gives me a real good sense of what temps are like all around the meat.

P1050964.jpg

I am going to follow that pepper stout recipe as close as I can with what I have , I think the idea behind the method is solid , hopefully all will turn out well , and I will keep yall posted.

Update Time !

I had an amber beer , and pickled jalapenos, red onions and garlic. So this is somewhat following the pepper stout recipe , but different.

P1050968.jpg

P1050971.jpg

P1050972.jpg

And now time to finish cooking it , I'll probably check in about two hours for tenderness.

Yessir......you are WELL on your way!

Lookin good so far! :thumb:

I just checked on the meat , it's just about where I want it to be as far as doneness goes. Here's where the recipe differs from my instinct. What my first instinct says , is pull it out and let it rest in the foil for at least an hour before pulling. what the recipe says is shred it up and cook it even further in its juices.

Any suggestions here?

This turned out excellent , we didn't make sandwiches or anything , just ate it with a fork along side some mac'n'cheese and coleslaw. It was tender and delicious , I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

P1050973.jpg

Looks like a big ole' pan of yummy from here.:clap:

Looks great Mike but what did you do, follow your instinct or the recipe??

Back