Parsley Question

jcpetro97

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Was wondering about parsley used in the turn in boxes. I have noticed with our practice boxes that the parsley sticks to the food. Does that matter and if so is there a good way to minimise the amount that does stick. Thanks everyone.

Speaking as a judge,there are few things I dislike more than having to spend one of my precious minutes pulling tiny little chunks of parsley from six pieces of meat with my already sticky fingers before starting the judging process.
It is discussed between judges at tables all over they country. That being said it is what it is, part of the process I guess.
As a cook, I use curly leaf lettuce.
Ed

No...it does not matter...judges are instructed to remove any garnish before tasting. If you pack the parsley tight enough (putting green box) you will minimize what attaches to the meat. :cool:

Speaking as a judge,there are few things I dislike more than having to spend one of my precious minutes pulling tiny little chunks of parsley from six pieces of meat with my already sticky fingers before starting the judging process.
It is discussed between judges at tables all over they country. That being said it is what it is, part of the process I guess.
As a cook, I use curly leaf lettuce.
Ed

With the lettuce, do you find you have any issues with drippings pooling or anything like that? One of the reasons I elected to use parsley ( besides that it is listed as one of the items you can use for turn in ) is that I have heard from some folks, that they had issues with say grease pooling underneath the food, etc. Just wondering how you deal with that, if you were to use lettuce.

With the lettuce, do you find you have any issues with drippings pooling or anything like that? One of the reasons I elected to use parsley ( besides that it is listed as one of the items you can use for turn in ) is that I have heard from some folks, that they had issues with say grease pooling underneath the food, etc. Just wondering how you deal with that, if you were to use lettuce.

I never was aware of any such problems. I tend to sauce lightly as a lot of judges think poorly of oversauced entries. I would say curly leaf is used on pry a third of the boxes.
Next time you do practice boxes use curly leaf and check for those problems after letting it set for 15 min.
Ed

A CBJ judge is not supposed to judge the garnish and is instructed to not judge it. The only thing we are looking for is illegal garnish (as far as garnish goes). Garnish that covers the meat will impact your score only
In that we cannot see what we want to see. During the appearance portion we cannot touch the meat so what we see is what we judge.

Back