THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jbomb

Knows what a fatty is.
I recently ordered Steven Raichlen's BBQ Bible Suaces Rubs and Marinades.
While doing some research on rubs I have noticed it keeps saying for chili powder to use pure chili powder not a blend. Can anyone explain why this is? I am assuming maybe for consistancy but not sure. And is it really a big deal? Thanks

pure chile powder has one ingredient: chile.

Otherwise "chile powder" likely includes (at a minimum) chile, cumin, & garlic; as you will see when you read the package.

I buy both.

I like the ease of using chili powder, if you find a brand you like (I like Gebhardts) it makes a quick seasoning rather easier.

I also keep chile powder, which is powdered chiles, of a few different types, for when I want a specific flavor. These are pure powdered chiles, no additives or other spices.

I guess I should have looked at the back of the bottle. I didn't expect other things than chili's. i suppose if I am mixing my own rubs I don't need extra things added without my knowing or the quantaties. Especially salt.

Back