$5.00 a person burgers and dogs???

grillfella

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hey boys and girls. It is amazing to me how many people that call for my catering services think that I have a $5.00 menu. I got a call from a lady who wanted burgers and dogs plus 2 sides for $5 bucks a person. Hamburgers and hot dogs are the easiest thing to do, but yet people are lazy and expect me to pick up the slack:mad: and work for free. Those days are over. Any of my fellow caterers run into these types of calls? if so what is the best way to handle? Thanks in advance

Bill D:grin:

This is one of the reasons I don't have hot dogs & hamburgers on the menu. I have done them to make my Farmers' Market menu a little more kid friendly, but I wouldn't do a whole gig based on that. For sure burgers, dogs, and sides are the cheapest thing going for food costs - but you've got to charge for your time, etc. People that are this cheap up front are the kind that will find something else to bitch about during the gig. I have separate charges for delivery (based on heads) and/or on-site cooking (by the hour, 3 hour minimum). Those typically takes care of the discussion. It's just not worth the frustration factor. You're better off spending the day at the golf course...

This is one of the reasons I don't have hot dogs & hamburgers on the menu. I have done them to make my Farmers' Market menu a little more kid friendly, but I wouldn't do a whole gig based on that. For sure burgers, dogs, and sides are the cheapest thing going for food costs - but you've got to charge for your time, etc. People that are this cheap up front are the kind that will find something else to bitch about during the gig. I have separate charges for delivery (based on heads) and/or on-site cooking (by the hour, 3 hour minimum). Those typically takes care of the discussion. It's just not worth the frustration factor. You're better off spending the day at the golf course...

I agree 100% ! It's not worth the time or aggrevation to deal with someone that wants 1lb burgers for a 3oz burger price. I run into this all the time. I just tell them if you want the quality, we will deliver it. If not, then buy them from ?? :roll: :smile:

Hey boys and girls. It is amazing to me how many people that call for my catering services think that I have a $5.00 menu. I got a call from a lady who wanted burgers and dogs plus 2 sides for $5 bucks a person. Hamburgers and hot dogs are the easiest thing to do, but yet people are lazy and expect me to pick up the slack:mad: and work for free. Those days are over. Any of my fellow caterers run into these types of calls? if so what is the best way to handle? Thanks in advance

Bill D:grin:

Hey Bill - Either ignore them or educate them. I went thru the drill with a guy - 50 guests, 3 meats, 2 sides, sauce, rolls, butter - $15.25 PP. He gave me a verbal "yes", and then came back and said he found a caterer that would do A Fruit Plate, Shrimp Cocktail, 5 sides, 3 meats, and a green salad for the same cost PP. Asked them if they were licensed, insured, Serv Safe, etc. He said he thought so, and told me he was using them. I said great, you get what you pay for, and if someone gets sick from the food, best of luck.

He called back 30 mins later, and I let him know I was booked for his date.

When I get the $5 a person calls, I usually let them know (nicely) that the only thing they would get from me is a Happy Meal.

Back