LSBS National Championship Meridian, TX Oct. 22-23

FatDaddy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Any one cooking the National Championship cookoff in Meridian, TX this October? We evidently qualified for it:thumb:, so we are gonna head down there and cook. Don't know much about it. Anyone ever cooked it before?:confused:

Thinking about it. As long as you had a top 3 in a category you qualified. If I do it, it'll be my last comp of the year. I'm doing Keller Oct 2-3.

Got my paperwork a few weeks ago but we're having our Cinco De Guyo event that same weekend so I'll be wearing my Promoters hat instead. Good luck!

I have heard some unfavorable things about the sanctioning body, Lone Star, with regards to fairness. The story goes that if a certain person is the head judge, a certain team is always the winner.

Before committing any time or money to this contest, perhaps it would be wise to have a few thorough discussions with folks who have cooked that sanctioning body's contests.

I have heard some unfavorable things about the sanctioning body, Lone Star, with regards to fairness. The story goes that if a certain person is the head judge, a certain team is always the winner.

Before committing any time or money to this contest, perhaps it would be wise to have a few thorough discussions with folks who have cooked that sanctioning body's contests.

This is primarily the only sanctioning body we cook at the moment, due to it holds all the contests in my area. We have faired quite well in all of them. Im just waiting to win that GC or RGC..

We'll be there. This will be our 3rd year cookin' it. It's one of my favorite contests. I know the team that's won GC the last 2 years, and she cooks primarily IBCA. I've seen nothing to indicate any unfairness in the judging. You still have to have the ticket when they tear it off the box at awards. See ya there!

This is nonsense and is another rumor created by some guy who couldn't win a contest. Sour grapes by a cooker won't contribute his time to judge a contest. I know The person you are referring to. He is a dam good cook and that is why he wins. He can be beat but you better have your game on. I'm getting tired of the conspiracy theories and I hear them from every corner and about every org.

I don't know the source of VQs info, but I've heard the same thing, and heard it about more than one organization in Texas. That being said, I've yet to see any evidence that it's true.

I'll add this.... it's usually the same people that are certain something crooked is going on, and that theory isn't as widely held as they'd like to believe. If what has been suggested was believed to be true by more than one or two folks, how many cooks would continue to cook the events where the combination mentioned were present?

Nothing wrong with being careful and doing your due diligence, but in this case I don't think there is anything to be concerned about.

We'll be there. This will be our 3rd year cookin' it. It's one of my favorite contests. I know the team that's won GC the last 2 years, and she cooks primarily IBCA. I've seen nothing to indicate any unfairness in the judging. You still have to have the ticket when they tear it off the box at awards. See ya there!

ALLRIGHT!! Finally get to meet ya haha.. Will be a grand time Im sure.. Ill have to do a little studying here and there for school... Oh wait, who am I kidding.. Ill be drinking my ACE off lol. :heh:

Just looking at the standing in LSBS it always seems to be a few in the top 3-4 that are always up there.. But ya know they must know what they are doin.. Ive placed in every contest Ive cooked so far the last 2 years. So I must be doing somthing half way right. I just aint got it tweaked enough to win the whole damn thing yet lol.

What is funny is those teams the piss and moan about the juding are still there competeing? If they truely believed that it was unfair judging, they wouldn't cook in that organization anymore. Therefore, my theory is they want to have an excuse as to why they didn't place or win GC or they are spreading the rumor in order to have other competitors drop out of that organization so their chances are better.
From what I have seen in my short time is there is a very slim chance in "having an unfair advantage during judging". In Texas they use people off the street for judging so unless you are friends with everyone there and they know your cooking it would be really hard to have a fix on the judging. Just my $.02.

This is nonsense and is another rumor created by some guy who couldn't win a contest. Sour grapes by a cooker won't contribute his time to judge a contest. I know The person you are referring to. He is a dam good cook and that is why he wins. He can be beat but you better have your game on. I'm getting tired of the conspiracy theories and I hear them from every corner and about every org.

Well Said Darwin...Nothing wrong with LSBS...

ALLRIGHT!! Finally get to meet ya haha.. Will be a grand time Im sure.. Ill have to do a little studying here and there for school... Oh wait, who am I kidding.. Ill be drinking my ACE off lol. :heh:

I'm lookin' forward to it! We should roll into Meridian Friday the 22 around 11ish. We stay through Sunday morning. We'll see ya there, Jason.

I havn't seen an issue. Now there are teams that place top 5 each comp. They cook safe and often and consistant. I'll be there. I'll head down Friday morning after I load the coolers and traffic dies down around Ft Worth. Jason and Larry, hope to see ya'll there. We're hitting Keller Oct 3. IBCA is running it this year.

Yea we are staying through Sunday morning as well I think. Will be sleeping in the truck.. Will see you guys there.

We will be there. Anyone been before, how are the grounds?

Gotta 50/50 chance of making this (as a spectator: daughter moving this week but hopefully done by Saturday). Hope to see y'all there.

We will be there. Anyone been before, how are the grounds?

It's a big field in a bend of the Bosque River. If it rains, it will be muddy. Weather is calling for a 30-40% chance of isolated thunderstorms Fri-Sat-Sun.

Skipping it. Really don't feel like the drive, and I'd have to take a day off work.

Good luck to the Brethren that attends!

Back