In the summertime, when the wether is fine...

caseydog

somebody shut me the fark up.
June is a great month, because there is an abundance of fresh produce available. And, to me, no meal says "summertime" like beef and veggie kabobs. And, if you can get some good Gulf shrimp, it just gets better.

I went shopping today at two grocery stores, and got the best from both. I got some wild caught Gulf shrimp and some top sirloin at one store, and some really nice peppers and Texas 1015 onions at another.

Texas 1015 onions are the Texas Vidalia -- you can eat them raw, and they are sweet -- but only in June.

I made my skewers with beef and onions on two of them, shrimp and onions on two more, and sweet bell peppers and fresh shrooms on the last two.

I seasoned the beef and the veggie skewers with nothing more than kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, and the seasoned the shrimp skewers with nothing but garlic salt. Good, fresh food doesn't need a lot of seasoning. Just enough to put an accent on the food's natural flavors -- NOT cover it up.

I lit up some Kingsford blue bag, and put the lit coals in the ultimate summertime grill, a RED Weber kettle.

The beef skewers went on first since the beef needs more time to cook. Then I added the shrimp and the veggie skewers. Everything got done at the same time.

My neighbor brought some Stellas over, which I think was the perfect summertime choice in beers to compliment this meal, and we feasted on what I consider to be the ultimate summertime evening meal. Very simple, very fresh, and satisfying, with out filling you up in the summer heat.

This ain't fancy food, and there ain't no sauces. It is simple food that lets the natural flavors of fresh summertime foods shine, with just the basic seasonings.

I love this time of year.

Attachments

• Kabobs1.jpg
    Kabobs1.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 112
  • Kabobs2.jpg
    Kabobs2.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 113
  • Kabobs3.jpg
    Kabobs3.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 113
  • Kabobs4.jpg
    Kabobs4.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 113
  • Kabobs5.jpg
    Kabobs5.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 112
I forgot to show the after dinner treats...

CD

Attachments

• PortoB.jpg
    PortoB.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 97
Summertime indeed :) The food looks great... maybe I should wait to find another throwdown to toss my first hat into the ring there... :)

PS - A nice hefeweizen would have kicked the summertime thing into high gear ;)

Summertime indeed :) The food looks great... maybe I should wait to find another throwdown to toss my first hat into the ring there... :)

PS - A nice hefeweizen would have kicked the summertime thing into high gear ;)

Naw, just do it. I never win, but I have fun, and eat well. That's all that really matters.

And, an ice cold Stella is my idea of a summertime beer. But, to each his own.

CD

CAO, good call and you can't go wrong with Stella at any time of year, IMHO. Nice looking skewers. I don't smoke CAOs a lot, but LOVE the Cameroon wrapped line. That looks like a Nicaraguan? I'm not up to date on their bands, so just guessing by the color of the wrapper.

CAO, good call and you can't go wrong with Stella at any time of year, IMHO. Nice looking skewers. I don't smoke CAOs a lot, but LOVE the Cameroon wrapped line. That looks like a Nicaraguan? I'm not up to date on their bands, so just guessing by the color of the wrapper.

With this kind of fare, I like a beer that isn't dark or heavy, but still has good flavor. Stella fits that, for me.

I don't usually smoke CAOs, but a friend gave them to me, and they are pretty good. I used to have a good source for kewb@ns, but not anymore.

CD

With this kind of fare, I like a beer that isn't dark or heavy, but still has good flavor. Stella fits that, for me.

I don't usually smoke CAOs, but a friend gave them to me, and they are pretty good. I used to have a good source for kewb@ns, but not anymore.

CD

I have a decent little stock of contraband, but I smoke them very infrequently, because I never want to run totally out of them. Gotta keep a few on hand at all times, because you never know when the right occasion will come along. ;)

Back