Chuckie is an unforgiving PR!C< and pRon

Here's my method for mouth watering Chuckie

1.) Rub with S&P add some garlic and onion powder to taste
2.) Smoke at 275* over wood of choice until the IT is 160*
3.) Put the roast in a pan and fill with beef broth, rough cut bell peppers and onions. As a gage you want the bottom third of the chuckie in the mixture
4.) Cover with foil and put back on the smoker, or in the oven at 250*275* until it is falling apart.
5.) Remove from cooker and shred to discard all of the fat
6.) Put back in cooker to reduce the juices by 1/2
7.) Mix it all up real good
8.) Eat

Try this it may get you closer to what you want.

I am doing this today. IT is at 145* right now and doing nicely... Thanks for this. Wifey and I can't wait for it to be done!!! :razz:

I'm attempting one as I type.......marinaded for 24 hrs , no rub....we'll see how it turns out. I have done Round Roasts in Smoker and pulled at 190 IT and rested for 1 hr and they were Tough so I put all the slices in glass casserole dish and added half a jar of Spicy Brown Mustard and about half a Carton of Beef broth and popped in Oven at 250* for 2 more hours and it was REALLY Good.

^^^that. :thumb:

I'm not a big panner/foiler but I've found that chuckies do well being panned/foiled etc. I certainly get better results that way. Also - I've tried coasting up to a done temp during the rest and it never worked out for me. I think you gotta cook it proper and rest it proper - I'm guessing there are some folks who can nail a cook that way but at this point I ain't one of 'em.

IMO it wouldn't hurt for you to simplify your process - you have some great advice here in this thread.

I've done one chuck roast, so I won't give any advice at the risk of sounding like one of those "internet experts".
But Here's my thread. I had some stress and resulting questions as the cook took place. Hopefully, you and anybody else can learn from our combined noob-ness.

Back