Whadda You Think About Food Network And BBQ?

Meat Burner

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
We watch a lot of the Food Network shows. Some, I turn to the "Enema Channel" when they come on. A lot are pretty informative. What is your overview or specific thoughts. BBQ is not aired as much as I would like but they do have some pretty good shows from time to time.
OBTW, tomorrow is Friday so I can't wait for JD to start it all off.:biggrin:
Kinda late for a post like this but I thought Keale would be awake. LOL

I'm kinda tired of Bobby Flay being the sole source of bbq/grilling knowledge on the channel.
The Neely's have the experience, but are a little too sweet for me. I have got some good info from Alton Brown though.

Cryo, what the fark are you doin up this late? Oh, post is about Food Network.

I used to watch the Food Network quite a bit, but; they got rid of most
of the shows that actually taught you something....except for "Good Eats"
with Alton Brown.
I never did care much for Emeril ...he never actually taught you much, and
he was always touching his ears or eyes or nose and then go back to
the dish he was making and never washed his hands.
Now I watch more cooking shows on PBS, like "America's Test Kitchen" or
"Ming Tsai" and "Everyday Food" and a couple others.

It seems like many of the shows on The Food Network are just for
entertainment; rather than to actually teach you something.

#1 the Neely's suck, and are unwatchable, and also have as much to do with Interstate as I do. Bobby Flay is good for grilling but not true BBQ, and he even says that on the Throwdown show, and he usually loses. Alton Brown is my fave on Food Network, I think because he gets everything down to tacticle, scientific reasons.

My favorites are Iron Chef America and Chef Robert Irvine. I wish they could give more Irvine. Whenever the FN goes into real kitchens I like. Just wish it would be under more realistic situations, not the "make a multi-course meal in a minute" type stuff.

The other show I watch is actually a couple shows over on the Travel Channel with Chef Anthony Bourdain.

Food Network has a couple shows on the weekend that could be interesting but I am not up in time to watch . . .as they wake up I go to bed. One day I'll get tivo or something.

As for the FN and BBQ, too much of their stuff goes into the oven. After queing for about a month now and after doing "bbq ribs" in the oven where I worked once, there is no comparison. Only one is BBQ and the other is baked.

Last edited:
Food Network can't do much with "real" BBQ any more than there could be a "Watching Paint Dry" channel. The camera needs to look -- and you know the saying, if you're looking you're not cooking!

The Versus BBQ championship series were the closest you could come to a show about BBQ, albeit in a competition format. And there had to be a lot about prep and equipment and backstories and everything to fill in the time except the actual cooking, because staring at a closed cooker door isn't exactly the stuff of barn-burning ratings.

I tivo'd Ina Garten making bbq pizza. I dig Alton, Guy and Alton....thats about it for me. Cheeyaaada' is pretty cool fer watching you know....***'s, and teeth...

foodnetwork is the pits now. not what it was before. now its just show with no depth. i used to watch a lot but now i hardly watch at all. all the good shows are gone.

bbq = time and good bbq takes more time than the 30 min show will call for

I really enjoy a lot of the shows for the drama from great chefs...but who do you think, individual, or shows, that help promote real bbq?

I really enjoy a lot of the shows for the drama from great chefs...but who do you think, individual, or shows, that help promote real bbq?

Probably Bobby Flay, Alton Brown, Guy & RR (when their travel shows hit BBQ joints). I'd Say Bobby, with all his shows averaged out, promote grilling/bbq more so than any of them.

I haven't seen anybody since Jack McDavid packed up his kettle and left Bobby Flay holding his weiner, (Grillin' & Chillin'). Granted, even that wasn't real BBQ per se but at least he had the good sense to use charcoal.
Alton's pretty entertaining and knows his stuff, Giadia's fun to look at...late.... in the dark... I also like Big Daddy, that his name?? he seems to be able to cook.. a rarity on that network lately

Definitly like Bobby flay when he brings in the people from around the country to grill with him Ive taken quite a few new ideas from the guests.

I watched Ina Garten make ribs the other day. She was explaining the different types of ribs there were to choose from. She said she didn't like spare ribs because they had too much fat on them. So she goes on say how she is using country ribs in this recipe. Well she had regular St. Louis style spares. Gheeeeesh..... where do they get these people.

I love the Food network. Watch it everyday. I have learned a ton from several of the chefs there and until I know everything about cooking I will watch the FN. Now when it comes to BBQ they are weak but so is every other food show on TV.

I used to be addicted to the Food Network and then all these Competitions, Throwdowns and other bull**** shows that have absolutely nothing to do with teaching about cooking, food preparation or just the fun and enjoyment of good food. I watch one show now, Monday night at 10 o'clock. Diners, Drive-ins and Dive's. Not too educational, but at least they aren't cutting somebody down or sending them "home". They forgot what made them a popular shannel, Sarah Moltin, Two Hot Tamales, Ming Tsai, even David Gartenburg taught you about wine, just some of the ones they let get "away".

I watch food network alot for cooking and grilling tips, but can't say I do for bbq. I like Iron Chef, Good Eats, DDD, Dinner Impossible and Secrets of a Restaurant Chef.
BTW, Alton Brown lives in my area and shops at the same Whole Foods (which used to be a local farmers market called Harry's) that I do. It's usually the Whole Foods that you see on his show. Haven't seen him there though. I only go there when I need fresh fish or ethnic ingredients, so I'm not there much.

They should bring back some Justin Wilson reruns.

I'm with most of this group. I used to watch FN a lot. Now, not so much. I enjoy watching for ideas and techniques. I really enjoy Alton Brown's show and Throw Down.

I liked Dinner: Impossible with Ervine and was sorry to see him tank with the "credentials" flap. Unfortunately, it was the St. Pete Times (local paper) that outed him! Despite the flap he is a working chef and I could feel his pain when "they" set him up with no pots, no stoves, no knives, etc.

Overall, it's still good TV. I miss some of the old shows, too. Ready, Set, Cook was one of the early shows that got me hooked on FN.

Back