First time smoking ribs

shdybrady

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I rubbed the ribs last night and let them rest. Got them on the smoker now hoping to have them done around 6pm et. They are st louis ribs, so I took the skirt and membrane off. Then I squared them up. But If Im not going to mop should I still do the 3-2-1 method or the 3-3 method?

I like 3-2-1, especially for the first time to establish a base. You can adjust future cooks to your liking. I agree with not mopping...just let's heat out of the cooker. Good luck and post pics!! :grin:

You know I'm not a fan of that 3-2-1 method, I think it makes the meat too mushy, almost like they where steamed. I just smoke/cook mine until they have nice pull back and and pretty much break in half when held outright. Good luck!!!!

I would do the bend test. After 3.5 to 4 hours pic them up by the end with tongs and they should hang not quite straight down. Now would be the time to sauce. Sauce them then back on the smoker or grill till the sauce sets about 20 to 30 minutes. I take the shortest end rib and if it starts to pull away from the bone the middle ribs should be perfect. Good to go and good luck.

so so pretty much Ill be looking for them to pull back about an inch right? And the bend test you are holding it out to see if it bends or falls apart?

I read your post after I posted mine. It should be pretty good to go. Im not going to do any foil this time I think. Being that Im not. Is that going to effect the cooking time?

so so pretty much Ill be looking for them to pull back about an inch right? And the bend test you are holding it out to see if it bends or falls apart?

Pull back is an indicator of heat applied, not doneness. Bend test or toothpick between the bones is a good way to check.

Your cooker depends on which method would be best. A mop works on certain types of cookers, where as 321 works on certain types, etc.

Me, I run a Drum and no foil , no mopping, no spritzing, just rub throwem on and pull them off when thyre done. For me thats a bend test. Pick up one side of the rack with tongs, when they begin to bend and crack at the bones, theyre done. If the rack feels like half of its gonna fall off and come aprt, approaching over done.

I hardly ever do the 3 2 1 because I usually forget about the time. I usually do my ribs on the hot side around 270 300 range . They falling apart in less than 4 hr.

I've only been smoking ribs for about 6 months, but I have the best luck when I just prep, rub, and throw them on UDS until they pass the bend and toothpick test.

IM glad to hear that because I like smoking on the hotter side. I do my butts and briskets at about 300 ish. I got a brisket done in about 6 hours. Turned out great.

3-2-1 Mods

I have devoted a tremendous amount of time, research and effort to the 3-2-1 method. After years of utilizing this highly thought of method and not receiving the desired results I consulted a Himalayan Monk versed in BBQ atop a secluded mountaintop and after several days of exile in a yak-skin covered hut I have come down from this place-on-high with this astounding revelation:

3-1-1 works great. They are tender without the "steamed", sometimes mushy texture. They are nicely pulled back on the bone and ready for a little glaze. After this 5-hour smoke bath I return the ribs to a steam pan, loosely wrapped in foil in my Cambro where they continue to "tender up."

My time with the Yak people has been well spent.

well suprisingly the are...done. Just for entertainment I tried the bend test. And they crust cracked very nicely. Thought to myself. There is no way. Then I tried the toothpick test. And it took just a bit to get through the crust but after that it was like butter. Im sure I couild of let it go for a bit more but, didnt want to over cook. I cut into them and there was a nice smoke ring cooked all the way through. Took a taste but and it was really tender. Turned out alot beter then I thought for only 3 hours....What happened? lol

You just learned one of the most important rules of bbq - it's done when it's done. Sometimes the rules and guidelines go out the window. Learn what to look for and how to test for doneness (like the toothpick and bend test for ribs) . It may take a lot longer than usual or it may go much faster. But it'll be done when it's done!:thumb:

:blah: No pics, didn't happen....

But serioulsy, I don't foil mine either, and I haven't had any complaints.

I foiled a brisket once, but tht was because I ran out of time and fire and had to finish it in the oven... :oops:

I used to do the 3-2-1 but recently Ive been doing more 3.5 hours smoke- 45 mins foil- 45 min back on the grill with sauce opt... been working great for me. to each his/her own.

Cheers

this is how they looked before they went on
389015757.jpg

And how they looked when they came off
389015772.jpg

And what I had as lunch, Brats cooked in guinness
389015776.jpg

Nice looking food, I'm hungry now.

I'm not sure I saw mention of temp in the earlier 3-2-1 discussion. Those times are for 250 degrees. If you're cooking hotter then the times should come down.
I occasionally cook around 300 and my times are closer to 2-1-0.5

Mark

well this time I cooked and it stayed right around 240. Then after I read the post about how you can smoke up towards 300. I added another log and it climbed to 256. I didnt bother to adjust the air control. Tha was the highest it got. For being a cheap side firebox brinkman, it sure does hold temps very well.

Back