17 pound brisket (or so they told me) Need Help

Mattlsmith

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
All,

I am having some friends over tomorrow and thought cooking a brisket would be great. I have cooked a few packers and found a local "meat packing plant" that sold brisket. So I figured why not give it a try. I asked for a brisket with the fat cap, point, and flat.

Attached are the images of the "brisket" I got. I can identify the fat cap but I have no idea what else is going on. If anyone could lend some advice that would be great!

In this image the brisket is completely laid out. You can easily see the fat cap but have no idea what that on the side is. Maybe they trimmed the deckle/point and that is it on the side?
BQWl9.jpg

In this Image the Brisket is folded a bit on top of its self.
XCEvI.jpg

Do you have a bigger picture by chance?

Just kidding, kinda hard to dee whats going on though. I see parts that look familiar

There we go, sorry about the size. Really I wanted the picture to be as large and ridiculous as the brisket I just got.

Thats better, still dont look right though can we see the other side

Sure looks like brisket on the left side but as for the rest, who the fark knows! How much did you pay for that hunk o' something?

Sure looks like brisket on the left side but as for the rest, who the fark knows! How much did you pay for that hunk o' something?

I paid $40 dollars. But on the flip side of the fat cap there is no point, just the flat.

That don't look like brisket to me.....chuck rolll perhaps or some other chunk of cow...:shock:

There we go, sorry about the size. Really I wanted the picture to be as large and ridiculous as the brisket I just got.

They were that. Thanks for reducing them.

I'm sure you can cook it like a brisket or a chuck roast, but will have to chop or pull some of the weirder sections.

That meat's just not right.

Looks like plate/navel esp on the left. Would make a good pastrami. The darker color is from an older animal. Throwing ppl off a little cause it doesn't look like a commercial steer. But it'll do excellent for pastrami. Don't know if I'd go back to that butcher though.

Looks like plate/navel esp on the left. Would make a good pastrami. The darker color is from an older animal. Throwing ppl off a little cause it doesn't look like a commercial steer. But it'll do excellent for pastrami. Don't know if I'd go back to that butcher though.

Very insightful, thank you for your answer.

Did you specify beef brisket???? Although I hear yak is not that bad. Kinda tastes like camel. :tongue:

Seriously...good luck...let us know how it turns out!

Hmmm, either way, with the amount of fat I see, you should have no problem going low and slow or hot and fast. Good luck & post pics.

I would call that butchered alright.

Although the piece along the left side of picture two looks like the point meat on a steer, the shape is wrong for deckle. Makoora man is probably correct in saying it appears to be half of the navel part. Odd for that piece as well.

Back