Vending Something Different

MattG

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have a chance to vend an event but can't sell Pork ribs, Pulled Pork. I would be the third food vender. The event had 9000 people last year. So I was thinking of serving BBQ Nachos (Pork or chicken), Turkey Legs, Pork sickle (Pork chop on a stick), and maybe beef ribs. What do you think? Any other ideas or thoughts? Thanks everyone.

Oooo I forgot that they only allow 3 food venders.

I'm not a vendor but how about pit beef sandwiches. Sounds like they've got pork covered, and who doesn't like roast beef sandwiches?

On the topic of beef sandwiches, what about hot beef sundaes?

I like the idea of pulled meat nachos, not sure how you could do pork, if another vendor has that right. But, I do like the idea in concept. I would consider things on sticks, more likely I would offer beef and chicken on sticks, maybe wrapped in bread or something. We always did great with meat on a stick. I think it is something folks equate with fair or festival food.

I like turkey legs as an idea as well. It seems lots of folks like those, plus, it gets the non-pork crowd. Another option, and one I constantly play with for vending, should I ever get back into that sort of thing, is pulled beef for sliders and tacos. It would be easy to do a load of pulled beef, and have a few condiments and the bread and tortillas to sell both with a minimal of ingredients.

Brisket, Pastrami Sammies are a thought but man I'd hate to go head to head with BBQ against a vendor serving pork and I could not. Hope it's not costing a lot to get in. I'd try some out of the ordinary things for sure.

BBQ sundaes or splits. Meal in a container that offers several options for the layers. For the sundaes, a 16-20 oz. clear plastic cup and then layer pulled pork, chopped beef, turkey, chicken etc. then beans or other veggie and then salad or slaw. You can establish order for times sake or offer it as a build option to generate interest.Let them choose the order time permitting. For the splits, same idea of options. Start with a rectangle container then three scoops of meat, beans and salad with pickle pears where bananas would be on the sides and top with red cherry peppers and sauce. Both allow people to eat and walk and have all the goodies in one vessel. We smoke lots of pineapples (drizzled in honey, turbinado, ancho pepper and rum) and either serve in a container or wrappped with pig candy. Other fruits work well are are fairly good money makers when vendors have basically the same fare. Good luck and hope everything goes well. Steve.

Stick to the basics, people dont buy a lot of stuff they dont know and you dont want to sit there and explain to every customer what a product is. I would sell, brisket, pulled chicken, beans, and slaw. Turkey legs are also a good idea. Dont start making food people are not expecting at a bbq event, they are going there for bbq.

You know, thinking about this, why not wings. Smoked wings are great, easy to make, easy to portion and lots of folks love them.

BBQ in a bag. A bag of doritos, sliced open along the side, give em a little squeeze to crush the chips a little, spoonful of shredded chicken or beef or pork, some sauce of your choice, maybe a spoonful of coleslaw and a fork!

The pulled pork nachos is a good idea as is food on a stick and turkey legs. Here in TX people love their nachos (especially kids) and food easy to walk around with. Sausage on a stick with a roll does good too. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Back