Safe to eat or not?????

DavidEHickey

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Well I might have a tragedy on my hands, I cut up an entire pork loin Saturday to make Jerky, cut into maybe 6" strips by 1/4 or a little thicker. Applied High Mountain Cracked Pepper and Garlic cure, mixed it up and stuck in ziplock bags tightly. Well with the weather an all I did not get a chance to run the smoker. I'm not as worried about the meat being in the refrigerator since Saturday but I'm not sure if the cure being on it that long would have an adverse effect. I'm planning on putting in smoker Saturday early a.m.
What do you guys think? Smoke or Trash?

LOL Snowy weather had no bearing on the smoke it was the Cold 15 below zero temp that deterred me! My poor dog has to stay in the garage with a heater on when its that cold and I have to have the garage door open to smoke! But thanks for the reply!

LOL Snowy weather had no bearing on the smoke it was the Cold 15 below zero temp that deterred me! My poor dog has to stay in the garage with a heater on when its that cold and I have to have the garage door open to smoke! But thanks for the reply!
LOL...my dogs were loving it and i was smoking in it everyday....51 below windchill one day. Tough it out next time. :laugh:

...but yea just rinse your strips off and smoke away, it would have to be in the cure for over a month to toss.

On the "safe" question, I've had pork chops cut in a well run butcher shop go bad in 4 days in the fridge. Having said that your rub surely had salt in it and salt has been used as a meat preservative for eons. I think you're probably OK, you can always use the highly technical whiff test. Stick your schnoz in the bag and take a whiff.

It's fine... cold snowy weather was no excuse though. :rolleyes:

I agree on both facts..... (LOL)

High Mountain has a cure in it, as long as it was refrigerated it is fine for smoking at a slightly later date than anticipated.

Back