Help me find a smoker please

Big slick

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I just joined here and I really want to buy a smoker. I'm not looking to drop a ton of money but I don't want a piece of crap. I like the cooking space of the Brinkman SNP, but I love the reliability of the WSM. I prefer to use charcoal/wood over electric. I really don't want a UDS just because well... they're ugly. What smokers can you pros suggest?

Thanks a lot,

Big Slick (Nick)

Hands down if you don't like the drum than it would be WSM for great bbq for a decent price. A great first or last smoker. I could see one lasting a lifetime with care.

The WSM is an excellent product, and the 22.5" is a beast, it can cook a bunch of food for you.

I know you said you didn't want a UDS, but if you haven't checked out the UDS thread, check it out. There are a bunch of tricked out, personalized UDS's that are works of art. They cook dang fine too, comps are being won with them. If a UDS is a definite no, I agree with with the WSM folks here, buy a WSM, you will not be disappointed. I have and use both UDS's and the WSM.

I can get you a new 22.5" WSM for $320 :cool:

That's 20% off, cheapest price around.

Probably the WSM for you, as others have said. Be warned though, once you start, it becomes a passion and a lifelong pursuit of all foods wonderful. It's so bad now, I have to wait til the snow is gone, pour a small pad and build a bbq area in my yard now, the deck is full up with toys. Cruise Craigslist for used gear too, I know when I sold my Cookshack (still kicking myself for doing it) I had responses immediately.

Guess it depends on what you consider "a ton of money".
Also depends on how much babysitting you want to do while cooking.

WSM's pretty easy to learn and cook on.
Offset smokers are awesome, but will take more work to cook on. You can also cook with ALL WOOD on offsets.

If you don't want a UDS and you want something that's more "set it and forget it", then I'd agree.....WSM.
An ECB properly modified will also perform well for you for less money.
:peep:

i saw this thread when i was still lurking around the forum. I'll have to try it.

Odds are that is the best deal for that particular unit. However, try craigslist, sometimes you can get lucky with a score. :thumb:

Its looking like WSM is the way i will end up going. For those of you with the 18" and 22.5" what is the most food you have ever cooked on it? Because when i do barbecues i don't mess around. I will cook 6-8 slabs of St. Louis style ribs, a Brisket, and 10lbs of chicken wings without missing a beat so i need a smoker that can handle a decent amount in one shot. I'm not saying i need a smoker that can do all of that at once but something that can only hold 4 slabs of ribs isn't really worth my time.

Its looking like WSM is the way i will end up going. For those of you with the 18" and 22.5" what is the most food you have ever cooked on it? Because when i do barbecues i don't mess around. I will cook 6-8 slabs of St. Louis style ribs, a Brisket, and 10lbs of chicken wings without missing a beat so i need a smoker that can handle a decent amount in one shot. I'm not saying i need a smoker that can do all of that at once but something that can only hold 4 slabs of ribs isn't really worth my time.

I did 5 butts (all between 6 & 8 lbs) on an 18" WSM once. I don't know if you can get a whole rack of ribs on one or not (never cooked ribs on one).

I know I can get 6 racks of ribs on a 22.5" grate on my UDS, so you should be able to do the same on the 22.5" WSM.

Google The Virtual Weber Bullet site for all the answers about the WSM

After being on here only 24hrs I am looking forward to future grills to share with you guys.

Before you buy the WSM 22.5...check out the Big Steel Keg...if you can find one...you can do everything on these and they come with all the extras...comproable to the BGE but cheeper...around $600-$800.

Jim

Back