ICBA comp in KCBS territory...

Jeff Hughes

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
In March, I am competing in my first ICBA contest here in Tulsa. This is big time KCBS territory around here.

I am wondering what I can and should do to remain within the rules, but still appeal to the local palate.

For example, I typically glaze my brisket slices after slicing. Can or would you glaze and then pop back in the cooker for a minute or two in a pan to "cook" some more?

No pork, but I'd love any tips that you have on brisket, chicken, and ribs...

KCBS is having one in the Ft Worth area this year. So we're even.:biggrin:

Hey Jeff were in that also. It will be good to see everyone again. Maybe we can get a good crowd and they will host more of these around here.

It sounds like there is going to be a good crowd. It's always cool to have a comp 3 miles from the house...

Plenty of room for your rig, it's a decent venue...

Best of luck in Great Bend, see you soon...

Last edited:
"Cooked on" is no longer the measure in IBCA comps
As the boxes are turned in they are opened and inspected for
"Pooling of Sauce" in the box
The sauce can not run off the meat onto the "Texas Lettuce"
Thats what the West Coasters call the Foil square

Meats may be cooked with sauces and/or other liquids, but once the cooking is complete, sauces and/or liquids cannot be added. NO PUDDLING IN BOTTOM OF TRAY.

Jeff you add your own interpretation as to when cooking is complete?

So, are you gonna cook candied thighs?

I'm use to cutting a chicken in half and being done. Don't know if I can handle trimming thighs. Then do I cook BB instead of spares, etc.. Oh, and the greens that have to be in the box.

But it's on my calendar as a maybe, it's close to the house and my sponsor will cover it.

I'm use to cutting a chicken in half and being done. Don't know if I can handle trimming thighs. Then do I cook BB instead of spares, etc.. Oh, and the greens that have to be in the box.

But it's on my calendar as a maybe, it's close to the house and my sponsor will cover it.

Give me a call next week:wink:

Meats may be cooked with sauces and/or other liquids, but once the cooking is complete, sauces and/or liquids cannot be added. NO PUDDLING IN BOTTOM OF TRAY.

Jeff you add your own interpretation as to when cooking is complete?

No need for the vibe...

This is my first ICBA comp, I know how to read the rules(and I get the no puddling aspect), but I have no idea how they are to be interpreted. I don't care. I just want to practice, cook, and compete in a way that will not get me DQ'd. I'm looking for some guidance, not attitude.

Tom's post indicates that cooked on sauce is not longer the standard. Your post indicates it is.

Help a bro out, don't yell at me with a copy and paste of the rules...

Last edited:

Actually, greens are not a requirement...

And spares will be fine...

Last edited:
That's terribly interesting. Is it a rule, or isn't it? Is it up to the interpretation of the head judge at that event?

With an IBCA contest upcoming, I'd like to know how creative the prevailing interpretation is, before we show up as "dead money".

Down here it means don't sauce after you remove the meat from the cooker for the last time. That doesn't mean you can't cook, pull the meat, slice it and put it back on the smoker and add sauce. It just means the last step before closing the box can't be adding sauce to the meat. At least that is what the last IBCA rep told me.

I have more problem with making sure my ribs are facing the right direction and that my brisket slices are uniform enough for the judges than I do with the sauce issue.

IBCA's are fun to cook though and I plan on doing a few this year:-D

Down here it means don't sauce after you remove the meat from the cooker for the last time. That doesn't mean you can't cook, pull the meat, slice it and put it back on the smoker and add sauce. It just means the last step before closing the box can't be adding sauce to the meat. At least that is what the last IBCA rep told me.

That's how I read it, but like I said, I really don't know...

No need for the vibe...

This is my first ICBA comp, I know how to read the rules(and I get the no puddling aspect), but I have no idea how they are to be interpreted. I don't care. I just want to practice, cook, and compete in a way that will not get me DQ'd. I'm looking for some guidance, not attitude.

Tom's post indicates that cooked on sauce is not longer the standard. Your post indicates it is.

Help a bro out, don't yell at me with a copy and paste of the rules...

Was not trying to give an attitude sorry if I upset you I simply cut and pasted the rules straight from the IBCA site?

and what cajunsmoker said is true about the the sauce the whole darn thing is left up to the head judge and it stinks because of the simple phrase of "but once the cooking is complete" like Tom sugested call the head judge also not to start trouble but you might want to ask the same question at the head cook's meeting that day just to make sure everybody is on the same page.

Was not trying to give an attitude sorry if I upset you I simply cut and pasted the rules straight from the IBCA site?

and what cajunsmoker said is true about the the sauce the whole darn thing is left up to the head judge and it stinks because of the simple phrase of "but once the cooking is complete" like Tom sugested call the head judge also not to start trouble but you might want to ask the same question at the head cook's meeting that day just to make sure everybody is on the same page.

I am certainly not upset, we're are talking about BBQ, not world peace...

When you put something in all caps it is yelling. You also displayed a condescending attitude with your implication that I was trying to interpret the rules in my own way.

It seems clear that the rules are not clear, and I'll be contacting the head judge later today...

I cook the chicken and ribs for our team in IBCA. One thing I found with the chicken (also been told) When you cut the chicken in half use the one side with the backbone still on it. It stands up a little better. My butcher can split the backbone so sometimes I have him do it.

Hope that helps some.

Back