High School BBQ Comp in Graham TX

Hotch

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
If any of you are going to be around Graham TX this Saturday, come by the Square and watch the HS kids compete in the HS BBQ (High School BBQ) Graham Regional competition. Top 10 will qualify for State Championship.
I'll be there with the Prosper Pitmasters Team from Prosper High School.

5:00am Light the pits
6:00am Protein selections
10:00am Desert turn in
11:00am Beans turn in
12:00pm Chicken turn in
1:30pm Ribs turn in
3:00pm Brisket turn in
4:30-5:00ish Awards Presentation

Hope to see you there!! :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Best of luck to the Prosper Pitmasters Team!

What a great experience for the kids! :-D

Pit Masters in the making.

Good luck to you and everyone, Hotch! It will be an enjoyable event, especially since the kids are doing something that doesn't involve having their face stuck staring at a phone.

Prosper Pitmasters are scheduled to cook at 3 of the regionals this year. Graham TX is the only overnight so far this year. There will be 14 high school teams competing in Graham TX. The top 10 at each regional will be qualified to compete at State. Last year there were 87 teams competing at State! :mrgreen:

Couple questions Hotch....

Are there regulations for the size/type of pits each team uses?

I'd assume each team is given the same grade protein to make it even across the board?

What a cool school activity!

Hotch, thanks for posting this and good luck to your team! Hope you'll post pics here when you can so we can follow along.

Goes without saying...
You're a good man Hotch.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Hotch, Good Luck with your Team Brother !!!

This concept is something I want to get started down here, but interest is low.

KCBS has been talking about ways to get competition BBQ into high schools as that's where the next teams will flourish.
Ed

Couple questions Hotch....

Are there regulations for the size/type of pits each team uses?

I'd assume each team is given the same grade protein to make it even across the board?

What a cool school activity!

None on size. Only cook with wood or charcoal. No pellets, propane or electricity. No fan/temp controller allowed. This is on the proteins. Beans and desserts can be cooked on or in electric devices as insta pots or air fryer. Or table top oven.
Proteins are provided to each team. Number drawing for the order of selection.
I’m having a blast!
f66470cdf861a55c8ff7ad6bf4f486a6.jpg

33dc96c7708fadf9582fcd8ec6b8930d.jpg

7ca246fb8eaf52dee70e502adab02ce7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KCBS has been talking about ways to get competition BBQ into high schools as that's where the next teams will flourish.
Ed

I think it’s best to not have the big guys run it but allow the league teams to compete at their comps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are some very interesting rules, but these days, I guess the only way to keep it pure and competitive is to not let a bunch of grown ups screw it up.

Back