Chuckie virgin no longer! Pron inside.

Saiko

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
After yesterday's brisket, decided to give chuckies a try today. The only thing they had at my grocery store was some small (2.3 to 2.4) pound boneless chuck roasts, so I thought I would start with these. My game plan was to smoke at 225 degrees until internal temp of 165, then finish in the oven in a foil pan with some Dr.BBQ's beef injection until 200 to 205 or so. Then rest them in a cooler for about an 45 minutes to an hour.

I was worried about these little guys drying out, so I injected with Dr. BBQs beef injection recipe (beef stock, worchestershire sauce, onion and garlic powder and some cayenne).
IMG_0018.jpg

Locked and loaded. Using my kitchen sink rub.
IMG_0019.jpg

Two mods in action, the umbrella mod and the maverick transmitter tucked in an oven mitt mod. Weather would go from scorching sun to rain, drove me crazy all day.
IMG_0024.jpg

165 internal temp, time for the oven. Took a while to get here, got stuck at 154 degrees for a loooong time. As a matter of fact, the temp actually DROPPED from 154 to 153, first time I've ever seen that happen.
IMG_0028.jpg

Per Thirdeye's technique, filled the foil pan about 1/3 full of liquid. I used Dr.BBQ's beef injection since I had made a big batch of it this weekend in preparation for yesterday's brisket and today's chuckies. Once they hit 200 I checked for tenderness, and they still needed a bit, so checked again at 205 and they were pretty tender. Foiled and rested in a cooler for about 45 minutes while I cleaned up and showered.
IMG_0030.jpg

After resting, ready to pull.
IMG_0034.jpg

The bounty. Most of the beef pulled pretty easily by hand, some parts needed a little elbow grease.
IMG_0037.jpg

Served up with some dipping sauce from yesterday's brisket, a jar of Head's Red BBQ sauce mixed with about a half cup of brisket drippings.
IMG_0043.jpg

Also served with my Indian style spicey green beans, with Indian chili's, black mustard seed, garlic, salt and sugar.
IMG_0044.jpg

The verdict: Not bad for a first attempt. Tender, smokey. I'm curious to compare when I do larger chuck roasts. There was so much good information on chuckies on this site, so thanks to all that have contributed!

Looks great!! I also like the umbrella mod.... now I have to go buy an umbrella tomorrow!

Great lookin grub Saiko!

Feel free to send that rain west. Already got the scorching sun.

Excellent, got any leftover? Go make Chili with it...

Nice going,
looks real good and bet it all tasted even better!

Nicely done.Recipe for beans?

Gujerati-style Green Beans
  • 1 pound frozen green beans nuked until barely tender, or 1 lb fresh cut green beans blanched for about 3-4 minutes.
  • 4 TBSP vegetable oil
  • 1 TBSP whole black mustard seed (you usually have to find these at an Indian grocery. You could substitute regular mustard seed if you have to).
  • 4 cloves garlic minced
  • 1 to 2 dried hot chili, minced (I use Indian chili, but you could use something like arbol chili also. You could also only use half a chili if you don't want it as hot).
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
  • Fresh ground black pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. When hot, put in the mustard seeds. As soon as the mustard seeds begin to pop, put in the garlic (it's actually better to take the pan off the heat a bit before adding the garlic, it's gonna get burned real fast otherwise). Stir until the garlic turns light brown, then put in the red chili and stir for a few seconds. Put in the green beans, salt and sugar and turn heat to medium low. Stir and cook the beans for about 6-8 minutes or until they have absorbed the flavor of the spices. Add the black pepper, mix and serve.

IMG_0046.jpg

That looks awesome! I have a middle eastern store who may be able to cut the mustard.

Jeff

looks awesome! thanks for posting the method, going have to try that

This looks absolutely amazing. I can't wait to try this, especially since I can't seem to find brisket around here. I want to get some beef in my smoking rotation.

I've never had, but I've heard about "Pit Beef" Sammies, up in the Baltimore-area, I think. Is this similar?

Back