STAINLESS STEEL DRUM FOR $120 good buy?

bluegrass smoke

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I got a guy that will sell me 2 food grade drums for $120 each. He also has some reg steel drums for $15 each. I have never built a UDS before and I would like to do it as cheap as possible but my wife was concerned about what might be in the reg drums. What you guys think?:p

A SS UDS is a beautiful sight to see. If I had the money hanging around, there would be one in my future for that price.

Yeah, from what I've seen, new SS drums are several times that price, so if you wanted to go that way, seems like a good deal. But of course, it's not necessary, just a cool build that not many people have.

If they are decent quality stainless, I think that is a great price. I don't know the particulars of what you are looking at, but a quick Google search is showing me prices much higher than that.

Grab it. Great price! I would do it for sure.

SS drums are beautiful.

If you won't take them, I will. If they are in good shape, I'd jump on it.

If they are in good shape........this is one of those time when you buy first and then think about it later

I have never priced a stainless steel drum, but that sounds cheap to me.

If you got the cash for the extra wow factor, go for it! I wonder though... To keep it all shiny would you have to keep cleaning the outside of the barrel? When i worked in a deli, I would wipe down the stainless steel sinks with baby oil to keep them looking nice at the end of the day for the morning shift. I have a friend with a SS gasser and even with the cover after a few weeks he needs to give the outside a once-through cleaning to keep it looking nice.

If I were you I'd buy both a SS and a regular steel drum. Put the ss drum away and build up the regular steel drum as a UDS first, use it for a while until you discover all the little things you would do different if you could do it again, then do it again with the SS drum except with all those little mods that makes it your 'perfect' UDS. When the time comes, if you decide to permanently decommission the regular steel UDS you could salvage all or most of its components for your SS UDS.

^^^^What Porkchop said....only keep the first one in working order too. It will be your first love, after all.:-D

If I were you I'd buy both a SS and a regular steel drum. Put the ss drum away and build up the regular steel drum as a UDS first, use it for a while until you discover all the little things you would do different if you could do it again, then do it again with the SS drum except with all those little mods that makes it your 'perfect' UDS. When the time comes, if you decide to permanently decommission the regular steel UDS you could salvage all or most of its components for your SS UDS.

I agree with porkchop. Nothing says ya can't have two UDS.

Is the a UDS building tutorial? The big post is way to much info for me. Is there a tutorial for building a simple practical UDS?

If you go through the post with the build pictures it is not so overwhelming, it helped me make a few decision. The UDS is such a personal thing and your build depends on your tools and skills. I made my first one and did some things different. Used it and made changes. I totally agree with Pork chop make it from a regular steel drum, use it then indulge in the stainless.Good luck with you build

Is the a UDS building tutorial? The big post is way to much info for me. Is there a tutorial for building a simple practical UDS?

Do a search for " if a redneck" and you will find norcals info. It's what i used to build the 3 i have made so far. All the basic info ya need.

Back