THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diesel

Knows what a fatty is.
Im putting two 20lbs turkeys in my UDS and Im not sure how long they need. Im wondering if I should put them in now and let them go all night.We would like to eat around 5pm tomorrow evening. Im shooting for a temp of 300 to 350.

I'll be interested in this thread. All night and most of the day seems way too long to me.

Last year I cooked a 12 pound (brined) turkey at 300 degrees. It was done in two hours. Yes, two hours. I couldn't believe it, but it was done. (And turned out awesome.)

I'll be interested in this thread. All night and most of the day seems way too long to me.

Last year I cooked a 12 pound (brined) turkey at 300 degrees. It was done in two hours. Yes, two hours. I couldn't believe it, but it was done. (And turned out awesome.)

well I was useing the search function and it seems I wont need all night. Its not bbq after all.

Just cut up a Brined 20 lber. 300 degrees for 4 1/2 hrs.

Just keep an eye on the color and tent it in the cooker if its as dark as you want it.

I will give you my canned answer, when cooking a Turkey on a BBQ the best results will come from following the cooking instructions on the bag the turkey came in for oven cooking. I cook Indirect at 325º-350º. Rub the skin with a compound butter mix and tent if the breast starts getting to brown. Poultry takes on smoke very easy and it is very easy to over-smoke a bird. Another little trick is to place a bag of ice over the breast for about 20 minutes or so, before you put the bird on the smoker remove the ice bags, this will slow down the cooking process of the breasts so the Thighs can get to temp before the breast is over cooked.

Your overnight-er plan may just taste like an ashtray...That would be a long cook for a Turkey.

Either way go easy on the wood chunks. Good Luck and have a great Thanksgiving!

That's been my experience, too.

I usually spatchcock my birds, but even when I don't, they don't take as much time as one might think (certainly not overnight)

I am smoking my first turkey this year. It is a small bird, right around 10 lbs. We are also doing a traditional one in the oven. I figured I did not want to smoke it for more than 2 hours...is this a correct assumption? When I do chicken parts I go an 45 min - 1 hour for 10 lbs, then wrap it and cook until it is done. I was planning on going longer because it is not cut up. I need to get it out of the brine soon...

14lb bird, brined overnight,injected w/ butter,white wine,chicken stock. Smoked at 275 for 4.5 hours till it hit 165F. Also deep fried similar size with same brine and injection for 42 minutes. Both birds were fantastic, with the smoked bird having a much more intense flavor.

Im putting two 20lbs turkeys in my UDS and Im not sure how long they need. Im wondering if I should put them in now and let them go all night.We would like to eat around 5pm tomorrow evening. Im shooting for a temp of 300 to 350.

:shock: I hope you were just trying to get a big grin from us.

I will give you my canned answer, when cooking a Turkey on a BBQ the best results will come from following the cooking instructions on the bag the turkey came in for oven cooking. I cook Indirect at 325º-350º. Rub the skin with a compound butter mix and tent if the breast starts getting to brown. Poultry takes on smoke very easy and it is very easy to over-smoke a bird. Another little trick is to place a bag of ice over the breast for about 20 minutes or so, before you put the bird on the smoker remove the ice bags, this will slow down the cooking process of the breasts so the Thighs can get to temp before the breast is over cooked.

Your overnight-er plan may just taste like an ashtray...That would be a long cook for a Turkey.

Either way go easy on the wood chunks. Good Luck and have a great Thanksgiving!
I love your work, perfect advice and so succinct!
:clap: :bow:

Back