My First Comp- Cape Girardeau, MO

S

slat

I will be cooking in my first comp on Aug. 25 and 26 in Cape Girardeau, MO. Any pointers that some of you more experienced teams can offer will be greatly appreciated. It will be my Nephew and me doing it all. I'm sure we will get some help from our ladies. I get lots of compliments on my que so I'm just curious to see how it fair in the world of comp.

slat said:
I will be cooking in my first comp on Aug. 25 and 26 in Cape Girardeau, MO. Any pointers that some of you more experienced teams can offer will be greatly appreciated. It will be my Nephew and me doing it all. I'm sure we will get some help from our ladies. I get lots of compliments on my que so I'm just curious to see how it fair in the world of comp.
do a practice cook at home outside complete with turn in boxes, turn in time schedule, etc.....

Make a list

slat said:
Make a list of everything you need, don`t wait til the last minute you will think of something every day and you will forget something.save the list for the next bbq contest

Bill M's advise is dead on.... a practice cook for all categories under contest setting/equipment and timing will be a big help.

We had a full practice run from Sat morning to Sunday afternoon with everything outside except to use the restroom indoors.

It was very good... Luckily we had plenty of shorter practice cooks before (doing only one or two categories at a time) so we did not find ourselves going indoors for any supplies or food.

We've built a checklist adapting from others posted here (do a search for competition checklist if you need to refer to one) but we've been using our stuff for so long we did not really need it when we actually packed for the contest.

You'll only really need to do this once... just to work out any major kinks before you show up at the contest.

Also, if at all possible, visit a contest in your area beforehand and stick around a while to observe. Cooking with another experienced team as a helper might be good too if you know anyone in your area.

Good Luck !!

organize your supplies ahead of time. Label everything so when you get out there you can set everything up and get comfortable about how things are laying out. Figure out during you practice how your smokers will layout and the best traffic flow for you, your team and any public that wonders by. Bring plenty of water to drink and clean with. And have plenty of small cleanup supplies, like clorox wipes and spray 409. Oh and this is one that I see many folks missing...fire extinguisher, it's the law in most places. Take a look around you kitchen and think of things you normally use and make sure you have them in your competition pack. Good luck and welcome to the competition pit!

Best of luck Slat.......and if you need an extension for the sewer line hook up for the trailer, give us a call! :wink: :mrgreen:

Go for it Slat! Don't forget to enjoy yourself, thats most important!

Good luck! Let us know how it works out.

I just started competing this year, it'll hook ya! Remember to have fun and take the time to meet some of the great people out there on the circuit.

Cape Girardeau is not that far from where I live. I'll try to run up there and check it out. What do I look for to find you?? Good luck!!

The Cape G contest sounds fun, we'll be cooking the Roots festival in Paola that weekend.

I also agree with Vinny -- with one small change: If you have another contest in your area you can visit beforehand - Swing by early, before they are digging into contest meat, and make some aquaintances. Most folks are more than willing to share pointers. I know Jeff (Big Creek) was even able to get some great ones from Myron Mixon!

Then, once you have made some new friends - check out how they prep their turn in boxes when you swing through on Sat. morning. That seems to be the biggest "mystery" that alot of new teams ask us.... i.e. what do you do with all that farking parsley!!!

You can also see how different folks set up thier camps for traffic flow - or for averting traffic flow. How may prep tables.... table height, wash area, hot water, etc.. I think Jay has pics of the signs he posts during prep/turn-in time.... to keep the public out. Not sure the title of that thread.

Good luck, and let us know how you do!

Not much more I can add to the great advice you've gotten here so I'll just say "good luck" and if you have any questions about a rookie's perspective in all this, give me a shout. I'd be glad to help ya.

Ol' Slat's hung out with the Bellys and Team Q at a few events already.....that ought to get him in the top 10 right there! :wink:

Solidkick said:
Ol' Slat's hung out with the Bellys and Team Q at a few events already.....that ought to get him in the top 10 right there! :wink:

But does he have his own flour sifter...ERRRR charcoal chimney? :wink: :lol:

Slat, I agree with what everybody else said. I might add......Dont forget sunscreen, aspirin and a first aid kit. Also dont forget some type of electrolite replacement. Like Gator Aid or something else like that. At the Grand Rapids Comp, I brought a 2 burner Coleman camp stove. Also I brought a gas grill. We brought a camp type coffee pot, a big frying pan and a 2qt pot. Wished Id brought a gallon pot. We used the pot and pan for heating water to wash utensils ect. Dont forget your 3 washing tubs and bleach too. We also brought little portable generators and fans to help keep us cool. Dont forget other creature comforts like good lawn chairs, E-Zup tent, dish towels for wetting and wrapping around your neck. If the weather is like what we had. It was a life saver for our team. Disposable plates,cups,garbage bags, wind up alarm clock and flashlites too.
Damn, Im tired just thinking about packing.........If ya think ya might need it, take it. Im sure I forget something here even.One more thing, dont forget a camera, We need pictures, lotsa pics for us to see.
Good Luck and enjoy yourselves.
Mike

From the perspective of the one who does the turn-in boxes...
Prep your lettuce before hand:This is what I do
Rinse it ( a small bucket will work- it will get rid of the dirt/grit that is still on the base and on some leaves.)
Seperate the leaves from the stalk and discard any bad pieces.
Roll the good lettuce in moist paper towels and place in an aluminum tray in your cooler.
Now when its turn in time you can just grab a roll of good clean lettuce leaves and get to work.

Thanks for all the good tips. Should help to make things run better. Top ten would be great, but I'll settle for anything around middle of the pack. I just want to get an idea of where I stand. This will let me know if I'm on the right track or need to improve somethings.

Back