Need Some Porkly Help

CT-Mike

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So while I was at work, I asked SWMBO to pick up two butts and two shoulders to smoke tonight as an old military friend is coming to visit tomorrow. I expected bone-in, but this time the commissary had boneless pork shoulder butts and boston butts. So how do I tell these are done if there is no bone for the wiggle test?

Cook plan is to use Chris Lilly's injection and rub, and Fat Johnny's Bastardized Piedmont Sauce.

The 4 pieces of pork weigh from 10-12 lbs each. With this in mind, what time should I be putting these on the Egg to eat at 4 PM tomorrow? Plan on cooking at 250-275 dome temp.

Thanks for all the help.

Give em a jiggle. You'll know. When you pick it up it'll want to fall apart. Just grab into that pork with heat gloves on and it should just come apart. You got this. Oorah!

You want to get em done a few hours early and hold them. They'll hold for 4-5 hours easy. Those are aome monster butts if they are 10-12 lbs each. My 6-7lb butts take me 16 hours at 220. Not sure how that would translate to yours

Kick up the heat to 300 or even 325 your looking at about 50 min lb neked I wrap after 4hrs mine tend to finish around hour 6-7

Thanks for the replies folks. I put them on at 10 PM at a dome temp of 240 degrees. Of course it is raining so I fashioned a little rain tent for the top of the egg using a couple chop sticks and aluminum foil.

I am really hoping the rain doesn't put this thing out while I am sleeping. I will be setting my alarm for 6 AM to get up and check on it, and finish the sides.

Went to bed around midnight with the Egg at 250 or so. Got up at six and checked on it, 325 degrees. I am thinking the temp crept up due to the rain stopping and warming up about 20 degrees outside.

Needless to say, porky was done at 7 AM, and I didn't want to FTC for 9 hours. So I pulled the butts, sprinkled in a little of the rub, covered with some of Fat Johnny's sauce, and will vac seal once completely cool. Then I just have to throw a vac bag in a pot of boiling water just prior to eating.

The taste is incredible, but sadly a lot of the bark was overdone and dried out.

Back