What's the "Rub"?

igolf2

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Just bought 3 lbs. of rub (internet buy) - won't mention name but a well known brand.

Got 1 lb. ea. of different kinds. All are very very good but I found myself "personalizing" the rubs by adding this and that and I thought I improved each rub (might be all in my head).

My question is do other Brethren do this to the rubs you buy either in stores or over the internet and how do you "personalize" your rubs?

I do this a lot, usually by mixing different rubs together to see what I get.:wink:

I did the same thing - 50% of this, 25% of that, etc. Now I pretty much stick with about a half dozen favorites.

My go-to rub is Kosher salt and cracked black pepper. I have become more interested in the taste of the smoke and the meat than spices.

You must have relatives in Texas.

True test is how do you feel about probes and how thick do you slice a brisket? Been told there is only one way to do it.:cool:

On rub topic, experiment with small proportions on country style ribs/strips and or chicken breast as someone did here.

I have tried a bunch of rubs that have been talked about extensively on here. They have all been good or great but I have yet to find one that I like better than my own rub that I make from scratch.

Oh yeah, I do it all the time. I'll mix rubs together or add things like Turbinado sugar, coffee, etc., to find that 'perfect' flavor. It's half the fun of cookin'!

I have tried a bunch of rubs that have been talked about extensively on here. They have all been good or great but I have yet to find one that I like better than my own rub that I make from scratch.

Well throw it out there brother.:-D

I do mix or add stuff to the rubs and I also make my own rubs from scratch. Experimenting is part of the whole learning experience.

I couldn't agree more - I have yet to find a store bought rub that can even touch my homemade rubs. I have access to a number of places nearby with REALLY fresh spices and fresh herbs from the GF's garden. It really worth the effort to make your own...

only thing I would add, is there is nothing wrong with testing using hamburger meat, cheap, takes the smoke. I think someone here said that, but not sure.

I make my own, have tried just about every one on the shelf at the store or I see when traveling. One day I think I just going to mix them all together and get a large portion of one shelf in the pantry back!

Have to admit when I made my own it was much better but the ingredients were $$$$$!
I can not seem to find anywhere that has reasonable prices for bulk spices. The 3 lbs. of rub I bought was very reasonable $-wise and I used it for a "base" to add other goodies to. Guess I do same with my sauces - use something cheap as a base and add to it.

Well throw it out there brother.:-D

Don't shoot me for not giving amounts. I never measure, just shake or pour.

Paprika
Chili powder
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Kosher salt
Brown sugar
Thyme
Cumin
Fresh ground black pepper

Don't shoot me for not giving amounts. I never measure, just shake or pour.

Paprika
Chili powder
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Kosher salt
Brown sugar
Thyme
Cumin
Fresh ground black pepper

Thank you. I find it interesting that these 9 ingredients are the foundation for so many good rubs.

Last edited:
That is pretty cool Cliff because over the years I just add things that I think will taste good in the rub. Never went from any recipe. Sometimes it did not come out real well.
One ingredient that I did not include in the list above is cayenne pepper. I don't use it everytime because I feed some folks that can't handle the heat at all.

Back