MUCH Anticipated Picnic Smoke

Wampus

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
So the last time the smoker's been fired up was New Year's Day!!!!!:tsk:

Seems I've always had SOMETHING to take me away from home or at the minimum from smokin. NO MORE I SAY, NO MORE!!!!

I went to Wally World last night and picked up a monster 12 lb picnic butt.
IMG_1437.jpg

Alarm goes off at 2 am, up like a shot (OK, not exactly :heh:), and it's time for those all too familiar scenes to remind me why I love this chit........
Charcoal lit with chunks of apple and cherry tucked in throughout.....
IMG_1435.jpg

Full moon looking over.....
IMG_1436.jpg

Nice lookin' roast.....
IMG_1438.jpg

I ordered this stuff a while back and just have NOT had the chance to use it!:mad2: This stuff smells AWESOME Steph! I've used it before with Chambers, but haven't had the pleasure to at home yet.....UNTIL NOW:thumb:!!
IMG_1439.jpg

Butt rubbed......
IMG_1440.jpg

The drum is slowly coming up to temp, meat's hangin' out and now I sit here once again in the middle of the night posting on this ROCKIN forum!!!

I'll be puttin' the meat on soon and climbing back into bed next to the wife's warm body........

.......HERE WE GO!

Right with ya brother I got 6 butts on the Lang doing a little test session getting ready for competition season.

You're going to love the Simply Marvelous Cherry Rub! How's the picnic doing so far?

You're going to love the Simply Marvelous Cherry Rub! How's the picnic doing so far?

I know that's what we rubbed the meats with at the Chambers Caper last summer (I think). Loved it then, I'm sure I'll ove it today as well!

Here's an update. 6 hours in.
IMG_1441.jpg

Oh, I sat up with it for about an hour and it was running at 220, so I opened the valve just a bit more before I went back to bed. When I got up it was pegged at 250. Honestly, I expected it to be a bit darker than it is, but I'm not worried. Need to flip it as it looks like the underside is darker.

Looking good! Never tried the cherry on shoulder, interested to hear how it comes out. And you know me, don't be afraid to boost your temps!

Looking good so far! I love that Cherry rub on shoulders. :thumb:

It could be a great entry into this week's "By Brethren for Brethren" Throwdown which is for showing off Brethren-made products like the SM Cherry Rub.

Looking good from here Great job I love late night/early morning cooks

And it's DONE!!!!

On the smoke for exactly 12 hours.
Don't know why, but the bark isn't as dark as usual.....?
Perhaps it's the RUB?!?!?!!!
I think this may be the PURTIEST butt I've ever smoked. Has beautiful color to it and it smells farkin' INCREDIBLE!!!

Temp was 190 when I finally achieved BUTTAH by probe.

Here's the finished pics just before pulling, double wrapping in foil and coolering...
IMG_1442.jpg

IMG_1443.jpg

IMG_1444.jpg

More pics to come after pulling the meat and makin' up a plate!!!!:becky:

So after a bit of a rest in the cooler, here's how it all finished out....

Pulled the meat with the bear paws....
IMG_1447.jpg

Then sprinkled a little more SM Cherry Rub on the meat and broke out a bottle of Dancing Pigs BBQ sauce that Guerry sent me from Memphis a while back......
IMG_1448.jpg

And finally plated with some cole slaw, baked beans and chips and a couple of Fat Tire Ales to wash it all down.
IMG_1450.jpg

Loved the rub. It's got a very unique flavor. Not too sweet, but it definitely has a sweet flavor to it.

Thanks for lookin!:becky:

Wow, that was a thing of beauty. Nice dinner as well.

The light colored bark is interesting. Maybe I need to try that rub cause the wife has an extreme dislike for dark heavy bark. Does that rub have a lot of sugar in it?

Nice pics, looks real nice!

Back