Iron Skillet Beans-Houston's

kw

Knows what a fatty is.
We were in Peachtree City visiting over Christmas and were treated to lunch at Houston's in Atlanta.

Seeing they had beans on the menu, I had to try them. They're called "iron skillet beans".

I was wondering if anyone here has ever had them before, what they thought of them, and if they might know how to make them.

As I recall, there was a definite chili powder influence in the beans. Overall, I thought they were pretty good. Maybe a little on the strong side, but I'd order them again.

This is reported to be a close copy, but I don't see any chili powder.

Cast-Iron-Skillet Baked Beans
Serves 10 to 12

11 strips bacon, divided
1 onion, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
1 tsp. salt
5 (15.5-oz.) cans navy or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup sweet tomato-based barbecue sauce (Western North Carolina-style)
1/2 cup mustard-based barbecue sauce (South Carolina-style), or 1/4 cup cider vinegar plus 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sorghum syrup

Preheat the oven to 325°.

Cut 8 of the bacon strips in half and cook in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-low heat until most of the fat has rendered out but the bacon has not started to brown, about 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from the pan and drain on a layer of paper towels.

Dice the remaining 3 bacon strips, increase the heat to medium, and cook, stirring often, until browned and crisp, about 5 minutes. Add the onion, bell pepper, and salt, and season to taste with freshly ground black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened and beginning to brown, 7 to 10 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients, stir to combine, and cook until the liquid comes to a simmer.

Arrange the partially cooked bacon half-strips on top of the beans and bake for 90 minutes or until the bacon on top is crisp and the sauce is thick and sticky.

That sounds about right. I worked as a server 20 years at a place that was opened by a former Houston's GM and the menu (and recipes) was pretty much a carbon copy. We called them BBQ Baked beans, but that recipe looks right.

Back