comp cooker

Wow! I guess a guy could do an entire competition on a single UDS! This is why I love this web site! SO MUCH KNOWLEDGE!!

So if you had to recommend the best way for us competition virgins, would you recommend a single smoker or multiple smokers? I would think multiple would give a little leeway so I wouldn't be opening/closing/opening/closing over and over and killing my temperatures.

Yeah, if everything goes right, you can do it on one. But if you have a stubborn butt or brisket you can have an issue.

See my recommendation above for a great way for a new team to start.

Yeah, if everything goes right, you can do it on one. But if you have a stubborn butt or brisket you can have an issue.

See my recommendation above for a great way for a new team to start.

Indeed. Harry Soo is the exception to the rule. I don't think I'd ever try his method of all-in-one. He's truly talented at what he does.

Indeed. Harry Soo is the exception to the rule. I don't think I'd ever try his method of all-in-one. He's truly talented at what he does.

Yeah... It takes impeccable timing.

But, I've seen a lot of pictures online of him at comps and they show two WSMs. Does he really use just one all the time?

Shows how new I am to te game. I thaught uds was only for back yards....

He told me he likes to use one WSM and 1 20lb. bag of KB because it reduces his carbon footprint and makes things go a lot smoother, ie. less equipment, supplies, etc.. I think it's because he's showing off...LOL!

Only in California would someone be worried about their carbon footprint in a BBQ competition...:crazy:

Yeah... It takes impeccable timing.

But, I've seen a lot of pictures online of him at comps and they show two WSMs. Does he really use just one all the time?

I know he used only one in Wildomar. He did use a mini WSM to smoke his beef ribs (extra category in Wildomar), but I saw only one regular WSM on his cook site.

Only in California would someone be worried about their carbon footprint in a BBQ competition...:crazy:

When he first mentioned that he used only one WSM in the class I was shocked. I asked him why and he said that it was easier to transport less equipment and fewer supplies without sacrificing any quality in his end product. The carbon footprint reason was a more of a throw away one-liner afterwards. We all got a kick out it. Maybe he was serious about that reason or not, but the fact is that he frequently uses a single WSM and a single 20lb. bag of KB (and wood chunks) to cook all four of his competition meats.

Back