Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

Awesome. Hope and pray all goes smoothly so you can open and get some good Q flowing.

Glad to hear it's finally gonna happen for you. Remember to post pics of opening day. You're going to do great.
Keith
Smokin Arsses Barbeque Team
Weber kettle, ECB X 2, Char Broil barrel grill, Maverick ET73

And the saga continues. They never showed up to finish the electrical and gas work. Finally got a call back and said they were waiting on some fittings. Whatever, BS. But they said they will be there at 8am tomorrow and will be finished before noon. They farking better be.

Staff was in today prepping, anticipating a Thursday open. Didn't go overboard so that in case things go south, not a lot is wasted. Tomorrow it's all hands on deck to clean the place top to bottom and finish prep, hoping for a Thursday lunch service. But even that is still up in the air. I won't have a specific time of the inspection until some time tomorrow. So for all I know, they could say it's first thing at 8 in the morning, or it won't be until 4 in the afternoon.

It really sucks because BBQ takes time and you can't wait until the last minute to get a definitive time and magically start putting out meat on short notice. So at this point I'm telling people we'll open on Friday. A Thursday opening would just be a bonus.

I can't wait for this to be over. Just a few more days...

Hang in there.You have made it this far.You can taste the finish line. You will be so successful and all this BS will be behind you. Good luck on Friday Brethren!

You must klank when you walk.
I've been getting the same spiel from my friends and family.
Funny thing is, I own a machine shop. "Drop the machining and open a restaurant"
I know how to run a machine shop. Nailing a brisket doesn't qualify me to run a restaurant. Crazy thing is, a place down the road just went belly up and it's in the back of my mind.
Best of luck to you.

I think I almost breathed a sigh of relief. Crew is here working on the gas line, and I just got off the phone with the health inspector who will be here at 8:30 tomorrow to give us the go ahead. What time we can open is now all up to what time the mechanical inspector can call the health department and tell him his inspection is done.

Hopefully we can open for lunch, but if we can only open for dinner, I don't care, I just want to sell some BBQ dammit!

Good news! I've been following this adventure here and on Facebook, and I wish you all the best. When my wife and I get up to Michigan this summer, we will be heading on over for sure!

Good news! :-D

So you can run the smoker and cook the meat without the health inspection? Just not sell any product? I never thought of the delay until you mentioned it.

SWEET!!!!! See you tomorrow evening for dinner then :thumb:

Back