Breaking in the new Gater

kennedyma

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Taking the new Backwoods Gater for a spin today. This will be my first smoke on it. Loaded it with 3/4 of a bag of Stubb's Bricks, put a Weber starter cube in the back left corner and let it come up to temp. It took a while to come up because the water pan was a block of ice.

I seasoned it 3 days ago and forgot to empty the pan. Then the temp dropped to 9 deg. the other night and it froze on me, O'well

4 slabs of spares, cut St. Louis style. Can't wait from them to finish.

IMG_0660.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

How are you liking that stoker on there? I ordered one for my fatboy, but have to wait a few weeks for delivery. :(.

How are you liking that stoker on there? I ordered one for my fatboy, but have to wait a few weeks for delivery. :(.

I love it, the remote viewing from my iPhone and MacBook makes it well worth the extra $$$ to me. Yea I'm spoiled with it but I just don't have the time to watch a smoker all day, wish I did.

This is the first smoke on the Gater with it, but I used a lot on my WSM. Made overnight cooks a breeze.

Screenshot of StokerX: The logging software for the Mac.
Screen%20Shot%202011-12-11%20at%202.41.jpg

How do those spares fit on the Gator racks? Can you fit 2 racks of spares on a single rack running them from front to back? Any pics of the ribs on the racks?

Thanks

How do those spares fit on the Gator racks? Can you fit 2 racks of spares on a single rack running them from front to back? Any pics of the ribs on the racks?

Thanks
I don't have any pics, but yes I can fit 2 racks per rack front to back with room to spare. The Gater is pretty deep.

Now for the pron from last nights cook:) Might have been the best ribs I've made yet.

Ran the Gater at 275ish, foiled after 2.5 hours with Parkay, brown sugar and Tiger Sauce. Each slab had a different SM rub and all were very very good.

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0664.jpg

Now those are some absolutely beautiful ribs :thumb::thumb::thumb:.

Back