Painting a UDS

Crunky

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm building my first UDS. Actually I'm building my first ever charcoal burning anything. I recently had a chance to use a regular old charcoal grill, and now I'm hooked; no more propane for me!

Anywhoo, I'm in the process of painting it, and I started out using high temp engine enamel in a rattle can. I don't really like the way its coming out, and I was wondering if anyone could suggest a high temp paint that can be brushed or rolled on.

One key to spray painting a drum is to go in realizing it's going to take several coats and quite a few cans. Don't worry about the "spotty" look, if that's what you are referring to. It will gradually disappear as you add more coats. I went through almost 4 cans to do each UDS and so the appearance was even.
I did use some brush on paint for my first UDS, and while it looked just fine, the streaking is evident.
The same high temp spray is usually available in brush on form as well.
Rustoleum makes a good brush on paint for steel.
Bob

Bob is right, it will take several cans of rattle paint to cover one. I was thinking about takeing my next one to a powercoater I know that did a set of Gold Wing wheels for me for $75, I bet if he had paint left in his gun it would not cost to much. Might get some interesting colors though.

Bob is right, it will take several cans of rattle paint to cover one. I was thinking about takeing my next one to a powercoater I know that did a set of Gold Wing wheels for me for $75, I bet if he had paint left in his gun it would not cost to much. Might get some interesting colors though.

That would be cool. A powdercoated drum. I had also thought of getting one covered with that truck bed lining stuff, but didn't know how well it would hold up to heat. And, sadly, the buddy that did that for a living moved!:mad:
On my son's MUDS, I didn't even use the high temp stuff, just the regular spray and it has held up very well.

Well its not so much the blotchyness, its the runs, and laziness. I'm painting it like a big bumblebee,from the bottom; black, yellow,black, and yellow lid. I bought a couple cans of high temp black and one yellow hoping to cover it in one afternoon. But not now after waiting for the yellow to dry and sanding the runs back out.

On my son's MUDS, I didn't even use the high temp stuff, just the regular spray and it has held up very well.
Thats good to hear, I just got back from homedepot with 2 cans of sunburst yellow regular enamel to fill over the high temp stuff.

hi

try to spray the yello paint in more thin layers and more distance

in europe the normal 1k spray paint cans are consitstente to 250°F .... for short time up to 360°F

I used the quart rustoleum from Lowes and rolled it with a sponge roller. Two coats came out great, and it was super fast. I was so happy with the way it came out, I am going to repaint my two drums I had sprayed. It was a nice glossy finish. Good luck.

i forgot something to say

when you use first high temp spray burn in the paint. and then use normal paint (for example yellow). the high temp paint drys on about 300°C (look at the back of the can) often you have to hold the paint for an hour or so.

if you didnt do this the high temp will never really dry (on normal smoking temps), or when you do this step after painting with normal paint the yellow one will burn out

hopefuly i didnt miss unterstand something in this thread and you understand my bad english

Yeah something people commonly miss with spraypaint is thinner layers with more distance. By the time you get everything in one, coat, the beginning will be dry and you can start over where you started at. Wont have any runs, or any sanding. I say stick with the paint, slow down, take your time, paint a little, sip a little (not the paint of course) It'll come out fine. Your finger will get tired though, so I suggest investing in one of those spraypaint can handles if possible.

I get most of my barrels powder coated. We're working on a splatter type powder coat now. Kind of like spin art if it works right. Very unique. When I do paint, it's usually a hammered or textured finish. Steve.

Paint? on a UDS? never heard of it. lol. me im not concerned about looks, just performance.

On my LSU colored UDS, 4 coats of yellow were necessary compared to 2 coats of purple to get a good looking drum.

Rustolieum black BBQ paint costs $15/quart at HD and Lowes and is good to 1000F

I like that color, its cheap and is great for touching up all of my grills. It also keeps the ugly part of U.D.S. going.

We start of with 500 degree primer let set for 24 hours then 2coats of 500 degree paint about 4 hours apart. then 1 more coat for touch up.

And if you put it in a spray gun thinned a little it comes out great...:thumb:

Attachments

• UDS027_web.jpg
    UDS027_web.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 66
Back