Went to Virgil's again in NYC

MilitantSquatter

Just got home a little while ago... Went to NYC tonight see the big Christmas tree in Rockefeller Center and walk around Times Square with my wife. We ended up eating a very late dinner at Virgil's BBQ on 44th St. in Times Square as it was in walking distance. I have been there before, she had not.

The entire city was mobbed but we managed to get to Virgil's at 10:15PM and had only a 20 minute wait. We had BBQ nachos, Kansas City Fried Chicken, Memphis Spareribs (dry) and Brisket with a few side dishes. Food was consistent with my last visit a few months ago with some co-workers.. Nothing exceptional, but it wasn't bad for BBQ in the middle of NYC..

I really like their sweet Tea and Mac & Cheese though.....

MilitantSquatter said:
Just got home a little while ago... Went to NYC tonight see the big Christmas tree in Rockefeller Center and walk around Times Square with my wife. We ended up eating a very late dinner at Virgil's BBQ on 44th St. in Times Square as it was in walking distance. I have been there before, she had not.

The entire city was mobbed but we managed to get to Virgil's at 10:15PM and had only a 20 minute wait. We had BBQ nachos, Kansas City Fried Chicken, Memphis Spareribs (dry) and Brisket with a few side dishes. Food was consistent with my last visit a few months ago with some co-workers.. Nothing exceptional, but it wasn't bad for BBQ in the middle of NYC..

I really like their sweet Tea and Mac & Cheese though.....

Ok. You could cook better at home though.

MilitantSquatter said:
it wasn't bad for BBQ in the middle of NYC..
"This BBQ was made in New York City. New York City!?!?!?"

<Old El Paso Salsa Mod>

Sorry Plowboy, but those were Pace Picante commercials, which, ironically enough, is probably owned by someone in NY City. Mr Pace sold out years ago. Met him once, very nice guy, carried around cases of the small jars of Pace picante sauce to hand out. I think he died about 5 years ago.

jgh1204 said:
Sorry Plowboy, but those were Pace Picante commercials, which, ironically enough, is probably owned by someone in NY City. Mr Pace sold out years ago. Met him once, very nice guy, carried around cases of the small jars of Pace picante sauce to hand out. I think he died about 5 years ago.

Ah, but you knew what I was referencing. That's the important part. :wink:

jgh1204 said:

"Git a rope". Just messing with ya Plowboy. Somehow I don't think Vinny's review is too enthusiastic.

"I really like their sweet Tea and Mac & Cheese though....."

I've had some darned good BBQ in NYC. Daisy Mays is fantastic and the Brethren Bash at R.U.B. this week was tasty, too.

Just curious, are these bbq joints that serve mac and cheese, serving it hot or cold?

bbqjoe said:
Just curious, are these bbq joints that serve mac and cheese, serving it hot or cold?

For the record, IMO Virgil's is average... nothing great but nothing horrible.

Joe - I've never seen it served cold anywhere.. Virgil's served little elbow shaped pasta with a fairly sharp cheddar cheese used. It's real cheese as it's melted on top while being served in a very small casserole cup.

Real, fresh prepared mac & cheese it's usually good anywhere. But if it's powdered crap or some liquid cheese sauce like Velveeta, I never like it.

Sledneck said:
So i guess you dont need to borrow my tongs for your next meal?

Maybe a shoehorn. If you noticed at R.U.B the other night, which you may not have, I ate a little at a time throughout the night. Never more than a 2-3 bites.

Plowboy said:
Maybe a shoehorn. If you noticed at R.U.B the other night, which you may not have, I ate a little at a time throughout the night. Never more than a 2-3 bites.

Did i seem like i could notice such a thing?:rolleyes:

Back