Lid/ body don't fit anymore

MrBisness

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Good afternoon!

I was given an older Char Broil H20 smoker. I have used it a little and notice an outpouring of smoke from the door, where the lid and body meet, the side, the bottom, just everywhere. So I am wanting to restore it a little to hopefully a former glory.
I currently have plans for repainting, sealing around the door, sealing the seam down the side, reinforcing legs. Maybe even adding a controllable vent to the bottom of the charcoal bowl.

My question is this: The lid and the body no longer fit. I think its just because they are both not a circle anymore. Is there another way to make them circle that isn't using a mallet to bang out the oval, or laying it on the ground and putting pressure on it?

Thanks for any advice!

How much out-of-round are the mating sections? Cross measuring it in several spots will give you a general idea.

After cross measuring, you might be able to rotate one section and find the spot where both sections do mate up. You could try marking that area, then laying the smoker sideways on a couple of 2x4's and ever so lightly tweak it. It's not going to take much.

My wife hulk smashed my old 22.5 webber lid....

life was just not the same after that

Lay it on the side with them both connected? I haven't tried that. At least if it doesn't make them perfectly round again, they will be the same amount of oval

Measure them and give them a gentle hug until they act right.

Back