Chicken Turn-in

nthole

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
So out of curiosity, minus the onion used in this, could you turn this in as competition chicken? I'd be curious how this would do.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32305

If I were judging I'm not sure what sort of appearance score this gets. It certainly does look tasty. I would think texture should be pretty good.

Would what you are doing to the skin in a pan even over a charcoal grill be legal?

I think it would be interesting to try it just to see how it would get scored.

While I'm sure the pulled chicken as prepared in the link is delicious and I'd especially love one of those sandwiches, I just can't see it performing well at contests on a consistent basis.

Not worth it IMO.

I agree with Vinny... looks awesome but not for comps. In this particular time in KCBS history, you turn in thighs or you get hammered almost every time with a few exceptions.

I agree with Jeff and Vinny pulled chicken is a sign you burned your skin or over cooked your chicken at a contest. just my .02

We actually tried it twice, not because it was burnt, we wanted to be different. didnt do well/didnt do really bad either. I think judges are "trained" to look for thighs and all else doesnt have the eye apeal.

They're not exactly 'trained' to look for thighs, but it is what MOST people turn in.

If you dare to be different... be prepared, and TELL YOUR REP AHEAD OF TIME.
(DAL mod ~ I speak from experience)

Although, there are a few teams up here that are turning in wings or even drums, and I have heard there was a slight comeback with breasts. I am not sure how they scored, you'd have to ask them, or maybe they will chime in...

It's all in how well you cook them, IMO.

as a judge chicken is one you got to be sure it is cooked so i would most likey not taste it because the sauce hides if is cooked or not

They're not exactly 'trained' to look for thighs, but it is what MOST people turn in.

If you dare to be different... be prepared, and TELL YOUR REP AHEAD OF TIME.
(DAL mod ~ I speak from experience)

Although, there are a few teams up here that are turning in wings or even drums, and I have heard there was a slight comeback with breasts. I am not sure how they scored, you'd have to ask them, or maybe they will chime in...

It's all in how well you cook them, IMO.

I did drums last time out. What a mistake.... they in my opinion, turned out great... everyone I let try them loved them....BUT, the judges didn't. Out of 42 teams, mine came in 42nd..... I guess drums didn't do as good and the thighs.

I did them as I normally do thighs, which come in usually in the middle of the pack. Not the drums. So, back to thighs for me. Stay with the "standard". Don't go against the judging standard. My opinion for what it is worth.

Bill

as a judge chicken is one you got to be sure it is cooked so i would most likey not taste it because the sauce hides if is cooked or not

Huh? Are you saying that at a contest that you are judging, you wouldn't taste pulled sauced chicken because you don't know if it is cooked? If so, how do you determine that any of the chicken you try is cooked through?

Last edited:
Huh? Are you saying that at a contest that you are judging, you wouldn't taste pulled sauced chicken because you don't know if it cooked? If so, how do you determine that any of the chicken you try is cooked through?

Agreed. I've never seen a thigh turn-in box that I could tell was "cooked" all the way through. For all I know it's a raw piece of chicken under a grilled skin. If you're a judge and you won't eat a sauced piece of meat because you're afraid that's hiding whether it's cooked or not stop judging. All you'd have to do is take the piece and tear it and you'd know if it was cooked! :mad:

Just a thought as a relatively new judge 6 contest I was not trained to look for any piece of chicken just shown what to look for and would judge your chicken fairly. That said as a judge there is a lot of personal opinion in judging and a lot of I've done it this way for x years and that is the rule (not it isn't it is a personal preference) so competition must know the foundation of judges. I would not mind seeing (I hear the groans) a discussion on BBQ and what the real rules should be (I do not put lettuce on my BBQ so why should I display it on a bead of lettuce and not a bed of slaw?) etc.

I do believe if you were to post your CBJ # the KCBS would be interested in pulling your certification.

Huh? Are you saying that at a contest that you are judging, you wouldn't taste pulled sauced chicken because you don't know if it is cooked? If so, how do you determine that any of the chicken you try is cooked through?
I think the majority of judges still trust the cooks and take a bite. Worst case if red juice somes out and you spit. But I have heard of many judges now tearing the chicken meat off the bone before starting to eat it. It only takes a few idiots turning in undercooked chicken to get judges doing stuff like this.

I turn in shredded chicken all the time and it scores very well

I have only judged on comp so I certainly am not the voice of experience. At the one I did though one box had a bunch of pulled chicken with the thighs on top. It was a very nice looking box and I scored it highly. The thigh and the pulled meat were both good. I noticed that every judge at the table took some of the pulled meat.

I'm not sure I would do just pulled meat at a comp as that is a little too far out on the limb in my opinion, but I wouldn't hesitate to do pulled meat as a base.

unfortunately a lot of judges are very suspicious of anything different..meaning anything out of the norm must mean you screwed something up in the cooking process therefore you must be covering up which is a shame because thats NOT whats taught in the CBJ classes. Everything is suppose to be judged on its own merits. because of this line of thinking that ive seen at judges tables I would not turn in pulled chicken.

I have only judged on comp so I certainly am not the voice of experience. At the one I did though one box had a bunch of pulled chicken with the thighs on top. It was a very nice looking box and I scored it highly. The thigh and the pulled meat were both good. I noticed that every judge at the table took some of the pulled meat.

I'm not sure I would do just pulled meat at a comp as that is a little too far out on the limb in my opinion, but I wouldn't hesitate to do pulled meat as a base.

That sounds like a pretty interesting idea. Might give that a try as well. The point though mostly of the pulled chicken idea is to find a way to handle the rubber skin issue by utilizing a different method. We cook about 24 thighs and usually get 6 good consistent looking thighs and the skin has been fine. But we were just trying to think of a different approach to give something new a try.

My theory/opinion is, is that if you don't turn in at least 6 thighs, you are basically telling a judge first off that you don't know how the game is played, and must be one of those good time locals who are turning in something for their first contest ever. Might be the best tasting chicken ever, but you're not going to be scored accordingly in most cases. Now, there are some good judges out there who would base their score on each sample's merit, but I've heard way too many stories someone going against the grain and failing. Stick to what typically does good, IMO.

My theory/opinion is, is that if you don't turn in at least 6 thighs, you are basically telling a judge first off that you don't know how the game is played, and must be one of those good time locals who are turning in something for their first contest ever. Might be the best tasting chicken ever, but you're not going to be scored accordingly in most cases. Now, there are some good judges out there who would base their score on each sample's merit, but I've heard way too many stories someone going against the grain and failing. Stick to what typically does good, IMO.

I would listen to this man without a doubt!

neil

i would try it and see what the points are
what do you have to loose
i have allways wone when i was thingking out side of the box

my @ cents

york

My problem with this statement is that the rules of the game state very clearly to those responsible for maintaining it's integrity that they must judge the entry as it is turned in without prejudice as to what others are turning in or what some might consider to be a standard.

I guess this has digressed into the age old judging argument. And I agree anything but thighs is adding risk to your score. The thing is that's pretty sad.

I think first comp next season we're gonna give turning the thighs in on top of a pulled mixture described from the first post and see how that goes. If that makes the overall scores that we've gotten for chicken go up a bit then it'll be worth it.

Back