Bark on Pork Shoulder

WvQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Does a heavy bark on a pork shoulder pulled or chopped usually cost points or is it seen as a positive. I like the taste at home, but that doesn't mean you do.

I like the bark as long as it isn't to "hard" (those pieces that have been overcooked). I know there will be flavor there, and it will give a better representation of the rub you used. To me the meat in the box should look liked it was done in a smoker, not a crock pot, so there should be some bark in there.

When I took my CBJ cert class, there were people there who didnt like bark and considered it chewey and burnt. That being said...I thought it was good.

what it boils down to is that bark is a part of bbq and IMHO it should be judged as such but you are being judged on appearance taste and tenderness and bark by its nature ain't tender so there is ...the rub.

Good bark is fine, bad bark isn't
Sorry to be so simple but that's what it boils down to

I think that the KCBS judging classes should spend a great deal of time drivong the point home that DARK and BURNT are not the same thing. When I see the pale color of a lot of meat that gets high appearance scores and a perfectly dark and delicious looking entry gets "looks burnt" comments, it tells me that way too many judges know a flippin thing about what REAL smoked BBQ is and what it takes to produce it.

Back