Maiden smoke postponed again...

Texas Turtle

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Okay, so today was finally supposed to be the day for the first cook on the new WSM 22 that I bought myself for Christmas. Had a rack of very meaty spares and a four-bone pork loin roast (six pounds with tenderloin attached) dry-marinating in the fridge overnight and odest daughter, son-in-law and only grandson scheduled to be here for dinner. Got up early, wiped down new cooker and washed the grates, installed probe grommet, and was preparing to fuel up right at noon. Phone rings, daughter has to attend baby shower for her sister-in-law, so dinner postponed until Sunday. Lord, give me patience and give it to me NOW! (J/K Lord):wink:

Guess I'm an AZZhole of the first order I would have cooked it and ate a kings feast when they show up on Sunday I'd be serving VandeCamps and BarS hot dogs. Don't forget the Red Bull and Rice Krispie Teats for the grand son for after dinner.

Guess I'm an AZZhole of the first order I would have cooked it and ate a kings feast when they show up on Sunday I'd be serving VandeCamps and BarS hot dogs. Don't forget the Red Bull and Rice Krispie Teats for the grand son for after dinner.

That makes me azzhole #2. :-o There is no way I postpone a smoke, especially if I have meat already prepped. Plus a baby shower is for girls, so why aren't the son-in-law and grandson coming?

I even smoke for myself sometimes.

hah,at least you get to use it! I had plans tommorow that fell through
guess i got to warm up the smoker and get some ribs:) what a chore....:thumbup:
Sent from Galaxy tab

I would've cooked something, a naked fatty, something for the love of BBQ:tsk::becky:

Naw....I would have cooked the whole shebang and got them Happy Meals tomorrow. Good excuse is, "well it was out and I didn't want it to go bad", "you know how expensive this is......right", "would you like fries with that?" Trust me next time, they are there and on time. :grin:

What he said.

Well, I'm too far out in the boonies to get Happy Meals without them getting cold on the drive back home, so I went ahead and fired her up after church. Learned a few things rather quickly. Cooking on the 22.5 is a lot different from the smaller unit. What everybody says about a new WSM cooking a little hot is true. Couldn't get the thing below 265 with all the bottom vents closed. Dome thermo temp varied quite a bit from the electronic attached to the upper grate with a clothes pin. Spares cook in roughlly the same time as on the offset at a comparable temp, and a 6-pound bone in pork roast takes longer to get to 140 than I expected it to. So, dinner was about an hour late, but the ribs were very close to perfect and the roast was very good although the bone structure in it was not what I though it would be so it was harder to carve. On to the brisket!

Okay, so today was finally supposed to be the day for the first cook on the new WSM 22 that I bought myself for Christmas. Had a rack of very meaty spares and a four-bone pork loin roast (six pounds with tenderloin attached) dry-marinating in the fridge overnight and odest daughter, son-in-law and only grandson scheduled to be here for dinner. Got up early, wiped down new cooker and washed the grates, installed probe grommet, and was preparing to fuel up right at noon. Phone rings, daughter has to attend baby shower for her sister-in-law, so dinner postponed until Sunday. Lord, give me patience and give it to me NOW! (J/K Lord):wink:

Remember the phrase from 'Seinfeld'... 'Serenity Now'...
It wan funny then, but helps a little now.
OR
'The best laid plans of Mice and Man aft gang aglee' (sp?)
(or some such drivel...)
I haven't uttered that phrase since English Lit. in the 60s.
CHILL.

Last edited:
Back