inaugural fatty

Coat

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
i've always been a stick burning purist, but the city life has caused me to change my ways. My first pellet smoker has arrived, been assembled, fired, and now it is time for the virgin cook.

In the spirit of being a good newby to the brethren, I shall smoke the naked fatty, with SPOG, paprika, and coconut sugar. Pron shall be omitted as the iphone is currently out of order and i'm using a camera-less burner phone.

I haven't tried coconut sugar. Let us know how you like it.

Which pellet smoker did you get? I should probably remember but I don't :rolleyes:

traeger junior elite. i got a new one for $319!

Mmmmm....nekkid fatty!

Congrats on the new rig!

thanks, peeps. btw guys i'm using the smoke setting, which on my machine is running about 210. bout an hour sound like a good approximation?

To get a fatty up to 165 internal at 210, you are looking at a few hours at least.

i don't own a watch. lol. never ask me how long things take.

If it's a standard sausage chub (Jimmy dean, etc.) your probably looking at 2 - 2 1/2 hours at that temp.

it's a local pastured-pork breakfast sausage pack. came flat, but i rolled it up to a fatty. it's 1 pound.

New toys are fun. Custom sausage is kind of uppity for a first cook. Jimmy Dean Maple unavailable????

Ok- just "ribbing" you. Enjoy the pellet grill and please post photos.

lol...you're probably right, but my wife has a ton of food allergies so we gotta buy all our groceries a little uppity. ha.

i'll try and put a photo up directly.

well the coconut sugar was a win, but looks like switching to pellets is gonna be a steep learning curve. zero smoke ring, and couldnt detect any smoke flavor.

i guess i should have stuck w/ the smoke setting longer but i switched to 250 after about 30 minutes. hope i can figure out how to deliver some smoke w this thing.

What kind of pellets? Smoke flavor will be light, but should be there. I've tossed fatties in even when doing higher temp cooks (ribs at 260, chicken at 325, etc.) and get a smoke ring in both my FEC-100 and Memphis Pro. I use BBQr's Delight pellets.

Cookin pellets perfect mix. I've used their hickory ones before on someone else's smoker and did fine. Idk hopefully it's a fluke this time :)

I've used Cookin' Pellets hickory and Perfect Mix as well and had good results.

Sounds like a good reason to cook more :-D

Yep, I get smoke rings on chicken breasts cooked at 425*, so that's odd. I use Lumberjack and BBQrs Delight pellets. The smoke flavor will be lighter on a pellet pit, because it is a cleaner smoke. It's an adjustment for some, but I never get any complaints.

so weird. well, i hope it's an anomaly. but on the bright side, did it ever cook evenly. wow.

Back