Kids Contests....

Our girls LOVE cooking! My 7yr old has probably cooked 17 or 18 contest over the past 3 years. My 5yr old just started this year and has cooked 2 so far. They both will be cooking 3 more times this year, Laurie MO, Paola KS, and the Royal.

They each mix/pick their own rubs and sauces, with only a little guidance from us. We practice a few times at home and then have neighbors and family come over to help give them feedback.

We always try to find out if boxes are KCBS rules or anything goes before arriving at the contest. That way they can practice and/or think about how and what they want their boxes to look like.

Some things I would recommend that have helped our girls.
1. Kids leather gloves (gardening) these work great to keep hands from getting too hot when working over the grill
2. Long tongs/spatula - again to help little hands from getting to hot
3. Sunglasses - to help keep the smoke out of their eyes.

Most important......KEEP IT FUN!!!

girls1.JPG

3burgers2.JPG

Spring 07 263.JPG

Kaylin3.JPG

Our girls LOVE cooking! My 7yr old has probably cooked 17 or 18 contest over the past 3 years. My 5yr old just started this year and has cooked 2 so far. They both will be cooking 3 more times this year, Laurie MO, Paola KS, and the Royal.

They each mix/pick their own rubs and sauces, with only a little guidance from us. We practice a few times at home and then have neighbors and family come over to help give them feedback.

We always try to find out if boxes are KCBS rules or anything goes before arriving at the contest. That way they can practice and/or think about how and what they want their boxes to look like.

Some things I would recommend that have helped our girls.
1. Kids leather gloves (gardening) these work great to keep hands from getting too hot when working over the grill
2. Long tongs/spatula - again to help little hands from getting to hot
3. Sunglasses - to help keep the smoke out of their eyes.

Most important......KEEP IT FUN!!!

View attachment 17659

View attachment 17660

View attachment 17662

View attachment 17661

This is way to cool. Now if only I could get the 4 year old to eat burgers..or BBQ sauce! :icon_pissed

Just remember that they don't have to eat them to cook them.:wink::lol::lol:

Very true!!! I can always eat them but I try to tell her in order to be a chef she needs to try everything she cooks. She just recently was bit by the cooking bug and loves to help.

They are in conjunction with each other. If the contest is Friday/Saturday, they will usually have the kids' q on Friday night or Saturday morning. Just depends on the contest.

Back