Pork Prices in VA... Do What??!!

A new virus, PEDv, is killing a lot of pigs, with estimates approaching 6 million, which is roughly 6% of the US population. That's what's driving prices higher. Still, beef is really high and a guy can only eat so much chicken.

A new virus, PEDv, is killing a lot of pigs, with estimates approaching 6 million, which is roughly 6% of the US population. That's what's driving prices higher. Still, beef is really high and a guy can only eat so much chicken.

Estimates are over 7 million on Monday this week and it's not a new virus.

Pork shoulders were 1.69lb at the local Kroger today. Chicken wings were 1.29lb... those big 10lb bags of chicken leg quarters were .69lb....and briskets were over 5.00lb.

It's cheaper to buy beef here in our area. The day that the epidemic was announced we went to SAMs and picked up a case at $1.39/lb. Meat prices have never been great in our area but this is just insane!!

I picked up a 4lb bone-in boston butt from Whole Foods today at $5.99/lb. :oops: It's hard to stomach the price but these particular cuts are raised local, no hormones/antibotics, etc. etc.

To contrast, my local Sam's Club sells butts and the full picnic at $2.99/lb.

gotta grow your own

I cooked some pork for work the other day and wanted to throw in a fatty was goin by the price cutter store stopped in to buy some j.d. 1 lb. Roll $5.89 so I went and bought some hog panels built a covered shelter. Found an old timer that just has 3 sows that just had new babies I bought 4 red wattles $50.00 a pop. Now im a pig farmer lol.

Yeah I am definitely happy I still have 3 rainchecks for 99cents/lb from food lion. Each rain check is for any amount of pork butts I have. Thank god I'll be able to get through this pork shortage

I am noticing that our local grocers are starting to price cuts of meat "per each" vs. "per pound". It makes it trickier to compare, but I'm on to them.

Example: Two pack of pork chops $3.50

If you read the fine print, it says chops are 5 oz each.

So, 10oz for $3.50

$3.50/10 = $0.35/oz
$0.35 x 16oz = $5.60/lb

"Estimates are over 7 million on Monday this week and it's not a new virus."

It's new in the US. First cases were a year ago right now. The virus did not take off significantly until last fall and winter. Massive piglet losses November through February is what is driving current pork prices, which are historically high.

This is scary going forward. Only way to beat the grocery stores is to go right to your nearest farm, and help process that piggie with the farmer + yourself.

If you are speaking about the virus, no worries as the virus can't transmit to humans. If you are speaking about price, my approach is to go to the local meat locker and look for deals.

just bought theese 4

tried posting theese earlier, hope they come through. a buddy i work with doesnt have a place to put pigs. so he went half on the pen we both bought 2 his dad was a butcher. and hees butchered many. ive done a bunch of deer so figgered hell ya. hees in of half the feed as well . we found a feed store out in the stix that blend a hi protein $12.00 a #100 lb. feed store gets about $17.00 for #50lb. i said heck fire ya lets grow some oinkers.

Attachments

• THIS LITTLE PIGGY 003.jpg
    THIS LITTLE PIGGY 003.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 63
  • THIS LITTLE PIGGY 002.jpg
    THIS LITTLE PIGGY 002.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 63
Back