Bear Claws

KC_Bobby

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get some in the KC area?

Or what are better/easier ways to pull pork?

I know Smoke and Fire carries them. Their out in Stanley or is it Stilwell Ks. not sure all I know it's west on 151st and 69 hwy. Their a little pricey. Probably somewhere cheaper. I know I've seen them there.

Backyard Bash in Parkville.

LOL, so far we have the three corners of town covered that I don't live near ... and ebay.

I'm really starting to consider a BBQ specialty shop in LS may be in my future.

I couldn't find any here in Wichita, go figure. And I was to lazy for ebay, but I found 2 big 4 pronged salad serving forks that work great and dont cramp my hands.
Similar to these.
AcaciaSaladSetSquare

Paw Paw

Try Hawgeyes.com Fast service just bought 10 pair last month had them in three days. Seems everytime I use them around other people they want to buy them. Going to use the next week to pull sixty butts.

Ashmont

ROTFL - I was in Ankeny (where Hawgeyes is) under 48 hours ago doing a comp. I was actually surprised that Hawgeyes didn't have a vending tent selling things.

send me a PM, I'll send you mine for free.....used em once and just found them to be awkward (thats just me). found out a clean pair of heat resistant gloves works as good as anything.

Anyone know where I can get some in the KC area?

Or what are better/easier ways to pull pork?

If you have a KitchenAid or other heavy duty stand mixer, cut the butt into 3-inch chunks. Drop the chunks into the mixer bowl. Use the triangle shaped beater on medium speed to knock the pork apart and shred it. If it's a little dry, add a little liquid. It takes about 30-seconds or so. Works for me.

If you have a KitchenAid or other heavy duty stand mixer, cut the butt into 3-inch chunks. Drop the chunks into the mixer bowl. Use the triangle shaped beater on medium speed to knock the pork apart and shred it. If it's a little dry, add a little liquid. It takes about 30-seconds or so. Works for me.
That may work, but there is something about putting it in a mixer that makes me think I'm gonna end up with mush.

I like going thru the butt with my hands to pull out things i don't want people to eat. Couple of guys here use gloves like this:

Attachments

• DSC01184.jpg
    DSC01184.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 205
That may work, but there is something about putting it in a mixer that makes me think I'm gonna end up with mush.

I like going thru the butt with my hands to pull out things i don't want people to eat. Couple of guys here use gloves like this:

Those work best for me. I really prefer touching my meat with my hands.:shock:

I also use the jersey gloves coated in PVC(i think) like those in the pic.

I tried the kitchenaid thing, once. Wasn't workin' out for me......

I know I'm not in your neck of the woods... but I got mine off of ebay. I love them... they work great for picking a butt off the grates, and I can shred a 6-8 lb butt in a couple of minutes.:biggrin:

I use my bear claws all the time. They were a great gift from my mother in law.

As much as I like them, I get the same results with two forks.

The bear claws are great for shredding butts fast, but they are also extremely useful for the purpose for which they are actually created - moving large cuts of meat around easily. I use them for shifting butts and briskets around on the cooker much more than I use them for pork-pulling purposes.

I have some and they do work really well, but I only use them when I have to cook a bunch of butts for somebody. If i'm just cooking for myself or at a comp I use my hands.

Got mine on ebay for like $4.

Back