Sweet Corn is IN SEASON!!!

igolf2

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Sweet corn just coming into season here in N.E. Ohio ( I know a lot of you have been enjoying for some time now:mad:) - I have a few favorite ways of preparing (soaked in husk then on the grill - steamed - shucked and grilled - etc.) but am always looking for a new way so........what's everyones favorite method for this summer delicacy??

Welcome to two months ago :biggrin:

My favorite way of serving sweet corn is to cut the kernels from the cob, blanch for about 4 minutes in boiling salt water, then rinse in cold water and set aside. When I am ready to serve, just saute in a little sweet cream butter, salt and pepper. Corn is cheaper than dirt around here, so we go through tons of it in summer time.

Jealous because I had to put up with shipped in "southern sweet corn" for 2 months!

I will be buying a bunch ears from the farm accross the street and then cutting the kernels off the cobbs for vac-packing and freezing so I will have some during our lovely 5-6 months of winter!

Many ways to do corn on the cob. True up the stalk end and clip the silks off and the loose leaves. Throw em on the cooker. Depending on temp is when they will be done. A slight squeeze test till you get it mastered. Wanna go really out shuck em and wash and then get nice piece of aluminum foil. Rub mayoinaiise all over then sprinkle red pepper and chili powder on. Then sprinkle with parmecian cheese and wrap tight in aluminum foil and throw on the grill or smoker. Corn is great and plenitiful this time of year so experiment. :grin:

Many ways to do corn on the cob. True up the stalk end and clip the silks off and the loose leaves. Throw em on the cooker. Depending on temp is when they will be done. A slight squeeze test till you get it mastered. Wanna go really out shuck em and wash and then get nice piece of aluminum foil. Rub mayoinaiise all over then sprinkle red pepper and chili powder on. Then sprinkle with parmecian cheese and wrap tight in aluminum foil and throw on the grill or smoker. Corn is great and plenitiful this time of year so experiment. :grin:

The mayo pepper and cheese sounds awsome! will try tomorrow night - Thanks!

igolf2,

Found a pic of squared off stalk and and clip silk and leaves. I don't have any pics of the southern spicy kind.

CornStove053.jpg

CornStove054.jpg

I'm liking the mayo, cheese, pepper thingy too. Corn aint quite made it into season here yet.

Scott

Jawquin thats funny that u said to do corn with the mayo. i had a delivery guy tell me to use that exact recipe.. yet to try it but it is my little notebook of goodies

Tuck

Shuck it and remove the silk. Spiral wrap with thick cut bacon. Wrap in foil and throw it on the grill. 1/4 turn every 5 mins or so.

NUTZ

Last edited:
Local corn isn't ready yet, having to make do with that Californicated stuff-hit or miss!

I live in Los Angeles and good corn is hard to come by. Even the stuff from the farmer's markets tastes manufactured.

Best corn I ever had was from a road side stand in Ohio near the Ohio River. We soaked it in a bucket of water for a couple of hours and put it on the BBQ grill. It was wonderful.

Hmmm, we get pretty good corn up here in Northern California. I go out to Brentwood and hit the farmer's stands.

igolf2...................:)-

Here's an idea I got from the street vendors in Nuevo Laredo.

Peel the husk back on your corn. Don't remove it, just clean off the silk, before you pull the husk back over the ear, slather a good heavy coating of Mayonaisse over the entire thing then pull the husk back up to cover the corn.(the vendors had gallons of Mayo on hand and shoved the corn into it to coat. )

There is no need to soak your corn, the Mayo does this, and you may not need S/P or butter. I use "Duke's" Mayo, but any will do. I haven't tried Miracle Whip, but it might be good too:rolleyes:

Hope you enjoy this as much as I do,
have fun and SMOKE HAPPY :-D
STAN aka bbqfans :)-

My favorite way is smoke roasted.

I de-husk, de-silk. Cut cobs in half and straighten ends (mini-cob style).

Prep grill along with steaks, lobster tail, etc... :-D

Get a dish of melted butter, roll mini cobs in the butter before grilling (make sure to have a handful of your favorite smoking chips on the coals).

Throw corn on direct and get some sear on. Don't worry about the kernels taking on some color. It won't taste burnt at all. It will actually taste great. I converted my Mom of all people (straight up corn on the cob traditionalist) to this method. Once the corn takes on color, move to indirect and finish the rest of the meal (the aforementioned steaks and tails et al).

Serve at the table family style. Cristen cobs with another roll in the melted butter. Season each with a little salt and pepper, but also hit it with some finely grated Parmesan cheese.

If you do it right, it's a meal where you grunt. Anything primal like that, you know it's good.

I've never been a fan of grilled/roasted corn or the waterlogged junk you get at fairs.
I like mine steamed for about 8 min or so. then drowned in butter with salt and pepper. Maybe some grated cheese YUM

how about this?

coat ear with butter.

sprinkle with salt, pepper and a little bit o' sugar.

wrap in foil (or use soaked husks - i've done it both ways...). put on grill. cook til done.

enjoy...

i've also forgone the salt and pepper, and sprinkled on some of my butt rub... mmmmm. good.

by the way, in spite of what my wife sez.. the best corn doesn't come from the pine barrens in NJ. nor does it come from the farms in central NJ.

the best dang corn comes from south and south central georgia and LA (that'd be lower alabama). Like the onions, low sulphur content in the soil helps makes for the sweetest silver queen you'll ever taste.

I've had real good luck on the kettle, husked, indirect and basted with roasted garlic/parmesian/herb butter about every 5 min. or so until tender.
We've been getting pretty good corn here for a few weeks now. Farmers Market, roadside stands in the Valley and even supermarket has had some decent corn.

Mees loves Creamed corn but done some the above ways with excellent results

Sweet corn just coming into season here in N.E. Ohio ( I know a lot of you have been enjoying for some time now:mad:) - I have a few favorite ways of preparing (soaked in husk then on the grill - steamed - shucked and grilled - etc.) but am always looking for a new way so........what's everyones favorite method for this summer delicacy??

Hate to say it, but microwave...shuck 'em, silk 'em, give 'em a rinse, and
wrap in wax foil. Nuke for approx. 5 min. for one ear (my oven). Always
sweet and tender. Even corn that isn't that good to start turns out
great. The microwaves seem to convert any extra starch to sugar.

A neighbor sprinkles Old Bay on his Cob Corn and I must say it is different. To each his own.

Back