Good Brining Container...

darita

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I use a water cooler, just right for a 16 lb. turkey!

images

I would put the turkey in a roasting bag with the brine ( get all of the air out of the bag ) .
Then put it in the cooler with ice ......

It would work fine. I would get those 2 gallon ziploc bags, or something appropriate for the size of the bird, then you could just pack ice around it to keep it at a proper temperature. When you are done you won't have much clean up to do. :)

I am using some old cooler I found in my basement that we've had forever. Must be about 10 or 12 quarts or something because it holds two whole chickens and a gallon of brine perfectly. I is small though, so I actually put the cooler in the fridge. Much easier to handle than a pot imo. That water cooler up above looks pretty handy too.

I have a 20 litre food grade polypropylene bucket, and I put this in my shed fridge with all the shelves removed... Works awesome!

Bill

igloo cube cooler, idk what size but it's about 20x20 internal, or the trusty orange bucket from home depot and plenty of ice

I find that it's best to use the smallest container that'll get the job done. Small n squatty sized containers mean you won't have to make as much brine. A bathtub would work, but then you'd need 10+ gallons of brine.

I like using ziploc bags, but sometimes they aren't large enough.

I have a nice container that fits inside my fridge and fits inside my cooler (makes cleanup a lot easier if I don't have to put the raw bird in my cooler).

A cambro or carlisle flipped up on end works good for whole turkeys. They are well insulated and will keep the bird from entering the danger zone as long as you keep the brine iced down. I don't know how safe a cooler or 5 gallon bucket is since they aren't food grade plastic/NSF rated.

5 Gallon water cooler for chickens and turkey.Still have room to put a 10 lb.bag of ice on top to weigh it down.

5 gal paint bucket from home depot (the red one works better than the white:becky:) cost is about $3 w/lid.... just add ice.

I use a small ice chest to hold the brine and for the ice I freeze plastic containers full of water so the ice won't dilute the brine.

I use Zip locks up to the 2.5 gal size as needed.
Into a cooler with a bag of ice and I am good to go.
Uses the least amout on brine of any method I have tried.

TIM

I used to use a 20 qt stock pot. I could either make room in the fridge, put it in the garage if it was for Thanksgiving and thus under 40* out there, or make the brine strong and add ice cubes as necessary.

Since then, I've bought a cambro food storage containters. I think the squares are 6 qt and will hold most things. I think the rounds are the 12 qt and it's rare that a turkey won't fit in there. If I find such a case, there's always the 18 or 22 qt, but then again, I've got stock pots. Make sure you buy a lid if you get these! Lexar is nicer cause you can see through it, but do you really care?

Most of the other suggestions involving coolers work well too, but personally I'd prefer to clean on of these storage/cooking containers than a cooler or cambro.

dmp

5 gal paint bucket from home depot (the red one works better than the white:becky:) cost is about $3 w/lid.... just add ice.

People can do what they want, but if one were to use a 5 gallon plastic bucket, I would prefer a pickle pucket or some other certified food safe specimon. That's just me.

dmp

I use a ...

5 gallon bucket that I got from the deli department of my local FoodLion. They usually throw them away and they are food grade. Also has a lid. Mine had cake frosting in it.

I've used various containers, but ended up liking the bag method best. I'd rather pitch a bag than wrestle with scrubbing a big container.

Back