Any BGE owners out there have experience w/the hi-que fire grate?

3 choices. Nice.

See... that's what I get for being an early adopter. I feel like I do when I buy a new computer.

Got my Hi-Que grate yesterday and it works as advertised. Hot fire and quickly! 700 in about 10 after closing the lid with lit lumps. Burnt my weinies a bit. I'll have to try a low and slow burn now.

Sure. It's not a trade secret. The perimeter ring and the one center rod are 1/4" stock. The balance are 3/16". They are spaced 3/4" on center

Sure. It's not a trade secret. The perimeter ring and the one center rod are 1/4" stock. The balance are 3/16". They are spaced 3/4" on center

Thanks!

I'm making mine based on a 10" ring. it will elevate the ring/grate about 1" above the current grate location, allowing more "air" distance between the fire and the ash collection area.

Looks like my 3rd option isn't going to work so I'll just be doing one with expanded metal and the other with just rods.

Off to the garage...:-D

Well, spent a few hours in the "shop" and turned out (4) "Phoenix Fire Grates".

These are 10" diameter, 1/2 square tubing frame.

2) with 1/4 rod grates
1) expanded metal
1) 1/4" square rod grates

Anybody want to try them for cheap?

allxf.jpg

expanded.jpg

rodn.jpg

I guess if they don't show much benefit in achieving higher temps in the BGE, they'd make excellent trivets for discada, hot pots and pans. :-D

Wow those look serious! Sorry that I already have two. Does a guy need a third one? I could collect them. I think your 10" diameter is a good idea

Well, spent a few hours in the "shop" and turned out (4) "Phoenix Fire Grates".

These are 10" diameter, 1/2 square tubing frame.

2) with 1/4 rod grates
1) expanded metal
1) 1/4" square rod grates

Anybody want to try them for cheap?

allxf.jpg

expanded.jpg

rodn.jpg

I guess if they don't show much benefit in achieving higher temps in the BGE, they'd make excellent trivets for discada, hot pots and pans. :-D

Those look great, I'm interested.

I don't get it, why are you guys trying to reinvent the wheel? :doh:

There are so many other practical and useful items to get for the BGE. It's a Fire Grate, the stock BGE one works as good as anything you can dream up. 200º - 800º temps.

No offense, I just do not understand the mind set here.

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1687512 said:
I don't get it, why are you guys trying to reinvent the wheel? :doh:

There are so many other practical and useful items to get for the BGE. It's a Fire Grate, the stock BGE one works as good as anything you can dream up. 200º - 800º temps.

No offense, I just do not understand the mind set here.

I didn't try to reinvent anything, some other guy cobbled together some pretty good looking alternatives to the stock grate. If the stock grate worked as well for me as it does for you I wouldn't be interested, but I have had problems with the stock grate getting clogged and dropping low temp cooks down to 140*. And, on the high side I have never got over 650* on my large BGE.

Back