Salty Pork Injection - Will it Change the Texture?

Greg60525

Knows what a fatty is.
I used a pork injection with salt for the first time on pork butts. The injection had a considerable salty taste to it, but the pork didn't. What I did observe was two things:

- the pork did not pull well. It came out more in strings at times and it was difficult to pull.

- the texture when you chewed it was more like steak, a tender steak.........it had more firmness.

It was certainly different than my typical apple juice and Worcestershire injection. Can't be certain that it's the salt, as I didn't perform a B vs C experiment, but I never had pork butts turn out like that before.

First of all, does this make sense............is it in-line with your experiences?

My real question is, what is dersireable from a competition point of view? Is perhaps, my usual pork too soft/tender and the judges are really looking more for this steak-like texture and firmness.

Thanks,

We use salt I our injections too.

I know Some of the pork butts you find will also contain a "salt solution" (such as Hormel). Some people say it give the meat a "hammy" flavor. I've cooked a couple of these butts in the past but have never really noticed a difference.

Thanks for the comments!

First thing I thought about was it being undercooked, but I pulled it from the pit at the same IT as usual and it probed well...............I think!

I guess it's time for that B vs C experiment!

Thanks again,

Does your injection have phosphates in it? They can cause texture issues kinda like what you describe if theres too much.

Some people say it give the meat a "hammy" flavor.

Probably a whole discussion by itself. Hammy, good or bad? We have generally tried to avoid hammy, but I am told that further south judges prefer that.

I do agree with the other posters that it sounds more like a doneness issue vs. the injection.

Back