Brine and Inject a Turkey? and other ???s

kevine

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm planning on smoking my turkey for Thanksgiving. I happened to pick up a brand new turkey fryer on CL for $15...included about a 40 qt pot, basket, large aluminum slotted spoon, therm, holders for the turkey AND an injector. I've never used one, and I had planned on brining the turkey overnight in water, sugar, salt, pepper and maybe either some agave nectar or ginger ale (just experimenting here).

Now that I have an injector, I was wondering if I can do both? Is it worth it?

Also, since it's just my wife, kids and my parents, my wife is getting about a 12-14 lb turkey. Without actually having it to see if it will fit, any comments about whether this would fit into a mini-UDS? Otherwise, I can use my UDS. Either way, I'm planning on running a combo of KB, mesquite lump and some cherry, hopefully at 300-325 degrees, with it being done within 2.5-3 hrs max, since it's a small turkey.

Thanks in advance!

I would do both injector and brine. Brining does not add alot of flavor, just moisture. I am thinking that I will both inject and brine. Also be careful that you dont add too much smoke. poultry soaks it up just like a sponge.

Good point on the smoke, I may just stick with the KB and lump. I'm using the lump to ensure it gets hot enough to cook the skin crispy. Thanks for the response.

Don't brine or inject anything that's going in 375 degree oil.

Back