trophys/cash

4 smokin butts

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
trophys or cash what would like to take home......hardware,cash ,ribbons........more cash ,less hardware???

we have taken both but cash is best helps offset meat cost and the ribbons or iron gets taken to sponsors they like that along with pictures of the event

Hi Dennis! I think there needs to be balance between both trophies and cash. Earning a great payday at a contest is wonderful but there's something very special about trophies that are unique and say something about the particular contest. For example, the Clovis, CA contest gave bronze Remington sculptures to the GC and RGC. They did this because of the larger than life Remington sculpture that resides along the Old Town Clovis Trail. It's a symbol that is connected to the town and to the contest. These kinds of trophies are, in my opinion, the best.

Hi Dennis! I think there needs to be balance between both trophies and cash. Earning a great payday at a contest is wonderful but there's something very special about trophies that are unique and say something about the particular contest. For example, the Clovis, CA contest gave bronze Remington sculptures to the GC and RGC. They did this because of the larger than life Remington sculpture that resides along the Old Town Clovis Trail. It's a symbol that is connected to the town and to the contest. These kinds of trophies are, in my opinion, the best.

I agree cash is what covers cost. But when you win a large
Prize and receive a cheap medal something doesnt feel right. I think promoters should look into other kinds of trophies like the remington. Finding a starving artist, might be cheaper then paying an engraver and a lot more interesting

• Thanks
Reactions: G$
agreed.....gc and rc are special,,and 1st in any catorgary,not to say 2nd ,3,or4 are any less,,,,we need all those for grand,,,but, pay according to rank.. iguess what i was saying,dont go over board on trophys,give back to the teams

Unique, handmade trophies are cool, like those little bottle cap ones from Columbia. Bowling trophies, not so much. However, hard to pay for gas in the tank to get home with a trophy.

Both. I do it for the bling, and it takes cash to play, so both.

Bowling trophies arent that great imho.

Cash does help offset costs but I think unique trophies are awesome. Hermann MO gives out beautiful blue full wine bottles with engraved winners on each.

Even bowling trophies have their place. If you're the team that has been plugging away forever and you get your first high call complete with bowling trophy, you love that damn thing.
hearteyes.gif

Let's not lose sight of the fact that at any given show, there are a lot more teams who'd love to drag home some hardware than ones who are tired of it, and on any given weekend one of them might just do so.

I for one still like to drag home a trophy now and again. And like others have said, if it is something unique that makes it even better.
The nice ribbons are fine but those .50 cent grade school track ribbons need to go.

It's just like most other hobbies, when you add up all your costs, if you actually "win" anything, then it was a good day. (Even if it is just a trophy)

I compete for fun and get more enjoyment from looking at an award that reminds me of the good friends and wonderful times I had that weekend. Dont get me wrong a few $$$ every once and a while helps out, but I display each and every award but never a photo copy of a check.

River City Roundup in Omaha is tied to a big rodeo and cattle show. GC and RGC get a branding iron as the trophy with the logo on it. First in each category gets a Boos board with the logo branded into it. Pretty cool.

While I do like the cash it's amazing what a $2.00 8th place ribbon does to bring a guy back to the next contest.

I agree with above regarding the unique awards compared to the typical bowling trophies. Personally, I love unique plaques so they can be hung on the game room/den/office wall with ribbons. Easier to find a home for compared to a trophy.

Awards for GC, RGC and 1st place of each category; and ribbons for the other calls - I believe those are the expectations of most cooks - Along with cash/check for at least 1st-5th of categories. I'd love to see top ten overall get paid too. Isn't the goal to do well overall?

Yesterday People's Choice thread reminded me of a certain People's Choice pork event that we won. I'd forgotten about it over time because I don't have a physical award for it - just got some cash. A small inexpensive plaque would have been great to go along with the cash.

Our team is still new but I'd rather take home a trophy than cash, unless of course we're talking thousands of dollars, but if I had to choose between a cool trophy and $250 I'd take the trophy, it'll last longer than the $250 ever will. I have the trophy from Wildomar next to my TV, it's huge, and I know that is not something you can buy, we earned that award and you just can't buy that with money. But we're still new and starry eyed and haven't got tired of winning anything just yet.

Our team is still new but I'd rather take home a trophy than cash, unless of course we're talking thousands of dollars, but if I had to choose between a cool trophy and $250 I'd take the trophy, it'll last longer than the $250 ever will. I have the trophy from Wildomar next to my TV, it's huge, and I know that is not something you can buy, we earned that award and you just can't buy that with money. But we're still new and starry eyed and haven't got tired of winning anything just yet.

I hope you never get tired of winning!

Back