Discussion Thread -> "Peculiar Pedigree Pan Pizza!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Our new TD category is...

"Peculiar Pedigree Pan Pizza
!"

finally-scanner.jpg

I thought this day would never come!

As chosen by buccaneer for his win in the "Vietnamese" Throwdown!

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

this is all buccaneers fault said:
New Category
New To You Pizza.
Must be a pan pizza cooked on a BBQ.
Must be a unique pizza to your culture. In other words, it may be a classic Mutton and Fermented Yak Yogurt that sells all over Mongolia that you can copy, but it must not be a pizza you can order withing your own borders!
There must be a little figurine in your entry shot, like a plastic soldier or a toy rhino or barbie or something. Let's have some fun!

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 5/16 through Sunday 5/25.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 6 a.m. Central US Time on Monday morning 5/26

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited by a moderator:
Please accept this Official Entry into the "Peculiar Pedigree Pan Pizza" TD.

This is my entry called "GF Pizza with Fruit Mostarda".

Once I got past the initial few minutes of laughter after reading the theme of this TD I got to thinking and came up with something fairly quickly. It's amazing what we can create given some time to think. I used the online list of toppings from a major pizza chain in my area and made sure none of those listed were in my cook. :becky:

I made the sauce on Saturday and cooked the pizza Sunday night. I used Chef Mario Batali's recipe for Fruit Mostarda for the sauce (from 'The Chew'. http://www.recapo.com/the-chew/the-...talis-fruit-mostarda-grilled-crostini-recipe/). I had every intention of cutting the amount of sugar in half but Carol said that Daphne Oz said it wasn't sweet. A cup and a half of sugar seems very sweet to me, but okay, I'll try it the first time. I used dried strawberries, cranberries, apricots, raw sugar and Pinot Noir.

My plan for the pizza was a GF crust, Fruit Mostarda for the sauce, fresh fennel pieces, Mennonite smoked summer sausage and Camembert cheese. I tried the moustarda, fennel and Camembert with and without the summer sausage and found the meat really livened up the mostarda. Eaten together the mostarda sparkled against the smoked sausage.

I made a GF dough for pizza. I've documented it twice in TDs and given the recipe so I'll pass on posting it in this thread. If anyone wants the recipe PM me and I'll give it to you.

Below is the set up for the kettle. Because it was a pizza for high temperature I put all of the charcoal in the middle. I like to use a ripped in half/doubled paper towel roll in the centre of my charcoal chimney, I like the way it gets the coal at the top of the chimney going faster. Rolled up boxboard and thin cardboard work well, too, just make sure there is a tunnel to take flames to the top.

Dough after a 20 minute rest. It spreads like frosting but it's trickier and stickier. In order to be able to put sauce and toppings on it has to prebake 10 minutes.

Please use the photo directly below for voting.

It tasted pretty good but because of the amount of sugar we didn't want to eat more than one piece. I think it would be a good appetizer with friends, especially if you're drinking wine, but I recommend you cut the amount of sugar to ¾ of a cup or less. Cutting the sugar would also create a looser consistency which would be better for this application.

This morning (Monday) we had fried eggs and toast and I brought out the mostarda and extra old white cheddar cheese. What wonderful flavour as a canapé on toast! The same went for the summer sausage, fennel, Camembert and mostarda, a really spectacular canapé. I think where I missed the mark on the pizza is the flavour and salt of the Camembert got lost when it melted into the pizza. I'm saving the pizza leftovers in the freezer for my mom to try next week when she visits and I'm going to warm them up in the oven with extra old white cheddar added. I'm optimistic the salt and mild bitterness of old cheddar will bring balance to the sweetness and the savoury flavours will shine again, just as they do when eaten as a canapé.

Thanks for looking. :grin:

Last edited:
Official Bucc's "Peculiar Pedigree Pan Pizza!" TD entry

What ever that means... :noidea:

So I just went with my own interpretation of the special rules. Which ended up being a pan pizza with cheese cooked in a pan on a BBQ.

This cook was done on location with only ingredients that I had on hand...

The usual suspects...

For the sauce I decided to make a cebolada with vidalia onions, stewed tomatoes, garlic and S&P to taste plus a cameo appearance of some hot sauce.

At this point the cebolada was very good but too sweet and I wanted it to be more savory I forgot white wine to reduce it with so I went with some Piri Piri sauce and oh boy that did the trick it was so flavorful...

I happen to have a heart shaped pan which I thought would be perfect for this. The pizza was assemble with TJ's dough, EVOO, cebolada sauce, Topo Sao Jorge cheese, Paio and chourico...

The pizza stone was a little to big for the Hasty Bake Ranger but hit 550 degrees but the area above it was only reading 300 so I decided that I should finish it with a quick broil under the coals...

This end result was one awesome pan pizza that I would be surprised if it could be bought anywhere. The sauce will be my got to sauce from here out with maybe a few tweeks. I shared it with our neighbor campers and they loved it or were very polite. :becky:

Vote pic please.

Thanks for looking. :thumb:

Big Ceasar's Sausage Stuffed Crust Pizza!

Please accept this as my official entry into the " Peculiar Pedigree Pan Pizza" Throwdown. First of all let me qualify my entry. Many of you know that I was in the Pizza business before. I have never made a pan pizza and as per the special rules this must be a "new to me pizza'. It also must be a pizza that cannot be ordered in my general surroundings or Country. So without further ado I present my "Big Ceasar's, Sausage Stuffed Crust Pizza"!

I live in France and all my topping ingredients are from Spain and cannot be ordered on a menu here in france.

My sauce is a melange of tomato, onion, bell peppers and garlic produced in Spain.

The Chorizo is from Spain.

The Manchego Cheese too!

The Sausage and Peppers are also from Spain. I think you understand by now.

I par cooked the sausage in the oven because I knew it would not cook long enough to be thoroughly cooked in the short amount of time the pie would be on the kamado.

After prepping the vegies and grating the cheese I went down stairs to start the fire. I used lump mixed with corn cobs and waited for the smoke to clear!

Thin blue smoke? NOT!

Then it rained. Fark.....

Not to worry, just a a passing shower.

I stretched out my dough.

Placed it in the pan as per the rules and layed the sausage around the rim.

Covered the sausage with the remaining dough and sealed the edges with a wet finger and a bowl of warm water to keep it moist.

Then came the Sauce.

The Cheese

The Chorizo

The Spanish Flag

Then the Kamado

About 4 minutes in at 550° not quite there yet!

Presenting, "The Big Ceasar Sausage Stuffed Crust Pizza" in the spotlight. It's way to big for a little ceasar!

My polling Pic if you please!

Can't wait for breakfast with an egg on top!

Thanks for looking!

Thanks Brother! Do you normally eat pizza? Or is it that these ingredients are more to you liking?

I do eat pizza. I don't make it tho.
Moose made some at the so cal bash that was amazing!!

I really like the way you used the sausage in the crust. Never had chorizo on pizza but it sounds good!

Quick question. Since pizza cooks so fast, did you precook the sausage before you wrapped it in the dough?

I do eat pizza. I don't make it tho.
Moose made some at the so cal bash that was amazing!!

I really like the way you used the sausage in the crust. Never had chorizo on pizza but it sounds good!

Quick question. Since pizza cooks so fast, did you precook the sausage before you wrapped it in the dough?
Yes Ray, I baked it the oven at 300° first. I didn't want it to be raw or the grease would blow up the crust!

Yes Ray, I baked it the oven at 300° first. I didn't want it to be raw or the grease would blow up the crust!

I guess if I had read your cook in more detail I would have known you precooked the sausage. :doh: Sausage wrapped in dough. It reminds me of hotdogs dipped in batter and then cooked. :thumb:

I give this pizza pie 4 thumbs up!!
IMG_7780_zps6111d713.jpg

C'mon folks! Step it up!!! Only four entries so far and I KNOW y'alls loves you some pie!

Back