My own craig's list score and OTS questions

Goldflinger

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I was messing around (always Dangerous) on Craig's list today looking for a cheap used smoker. I just got a dozen fresh salmon filets from a friend who went fishing in Alaska last week. After reading about fish oil problems, I was worried about attempting to smoke them in my new (only 5 cooks) WSM. I did not find a smoker, but saw a 22.5 inch copper OTS. Had to snag it for $40.00. I currently use a 16 year old webber kettle for steaks and grilling. I opened to box and confirmed the 2011 date code. I am not too familiar with the ots's and the otg's. What are the differences between the two? The OTS has a funky lower vent system, at least different than I am used to with my old wood handled grill. Guessing you can adjust all 3 with "one touch", hence the name. How do those who have used them like them. What does the OTG offer? I can see in pictures the bucket thingy under the kettle. What advantages does that offer. Probably stupid questions, but I have not put any study into the evolution of the kettles. Nothing was wrong with my old one, just couldn't pass up the bargain and the copper color is cool! Thanks in advance for any comments.

The OTG ash can is great. It makes clean up a whole lot cleaner. No ashes flying around, easy disposal. Other than that no other difference from the OTS.

The only other difference I know of is the OTG comes with the hinged cooking grate and the OTS has a non hinged grate.

That is correct. I just picked up a hinged grate at HD to replace the well used 16 year old one in my old kettle. Will just use it with the OTS and store the old grate with the old Kettle in the attic. Appreciate the response!

Why would you put the old grill in the attic? There are many times when I have more than one grill going. I might be smoking meat loaf on one, and abts on the other. I think most of the Brethren have more than one grill ready to use.

The one touch cleaning/vent system is great for cleaning out the ash in the bottom of the grill. It will sweep the ash right out the slots and you don't even have to get your hands in the grill. I have a OTG and cleanup is a snap and nice and tidy on the deck with the enclosed bucket ash catcher. I also have a 22.5" Red Kettle from before 1979 with the old style 3 round vents on the bottom and the disc ash catcher. It is a real "chore" to clean it out in comparison to the OTG or the OTS for that matter.

Heat control in the One Touch grill will take some getting used to. In general, control the heat with the bottom vent and keep the top vent wide open for indirect cooking.

Do a search and you will find tons of advice on managing the fire in the One Touch kettle. Enjoy!

Brian, don't have the room to store both the WSM and more than 1 grill. I store my grills and smokers out of the weather in the garage. I am all ready in the habit of lifting the whole kettle and dumping all ashes in the trash after it cools. Usually wash with the hose and a nylon brush. Works for me and has resulted in the old kettle being in remarkable shape after 16 years of use. I have never had the need for 2 grills At the same time. The only modification I make is put a bolt and screw thru each leg at the top so the legs do not come loose. Thanks for your reply and have a good weekend.

The OTG ash system is great, but I'm one who doesn't believe that and the hinged grate make it worth the extra $60 or so. I have two OTS. One is pretty much dedicated to smoking with the Smokenator. I took an old grill and cut out cross bars at the end so it fits right over the smokenator. The other is more for direct grilling and rotisserie cooking. I have a hinged grate on that. For one I replaced the ash bowl with a terracotta pot and the other has a metal bucket from HD. Both were less than $7 and keep ash from flying around. Just extra options to think about.

Back