BBQ Brethren "Throwdown"...Week 2

butts1005aw1.jpg

Fantastic shot.

Hell, Im still cooking. I dont know whether to be discouraged or inspired. :lol:

crown roast of pork

ok kids... here's what i got for brethren throw-down pork! :biggrin:

i called the fancy grocery at 0930 this morning and said "i need a crown roast for the throw-down!". they said, "today?" i say "YES TODAY!"
i said, "i'll pick it up at 1!" they said, "ok, sir!"

so i went to the bakery counter before the meat counter and i got a loaf of rustic country bread. i toasted a few slices and added melted butter and roasted garlic and threw on a few fingerling potatoes.

but on to the pork! this here is a crown roast cut and tied by the butcher. i rubbed it with dizzy pig jamaican firewalk and smoked it with cherry and apple chips for about 2:30 and then added a mixture of breakfast sausage, onion, mushrooms, and apples in the crown and then another 30-45 minutes in the egg.

holy carp! this was good! the original recipe is from YB on the big green egg forum and in the 2006 eggtoberfest cookbook...

i made a glaze of captain rodney's mango pepper jelly, apple juice, brown sugar, allspice, cinnamon, and honey... boiled and reduced to a thick sauce

crownroast-046.jpg

crownroast-052.jpg

crownroast-062.jpg

:biggrin:

ok kids... here's what i got for brethren throw-down pork! :biggrin:

i called the fancy grocery at 0930 this morning and said "i need a crown roast for the throw-down!". they said, "today?" i say "YES TODAY!"
i said, "i'll pick it up at 1!" they said, "ok, sir!"

so i went to the bakery counter before the meat counter and i got a loaf of rustic country bread. i toasted a few slices and added melted butter and roasted garlic and threw on a few fingerling potatoes.

but on to the pork! this here is a crown roast cut and tied by the butcher. i rubbed it with dizzy pig jamaican firewalk and smoked it with cherry and apple chips for about 2:30 and then added a mixture of breakfast sausage, onion, mushrooms, and apples in the crown and then another 30-45 minutes in the egg.

holy carp! this was good! the original recipe is from YB on the big green egg forum and in the 2006 eggtoberfest cookbook...

i made a glaze of captain rodney's mango pepper jelly, apple juice, brown sugar, allspice, cinnamon, and honey... boiled and reduced to a thick sauce

crownroast-046.jpg

crownroast-052.jpg

crownroast-062.jpg

:biggrin:

Brother Smoker...I am flat out speechless! Farkin' Awesome! :p

You gotta be farking kidding me. This stuff cannot possibly be coming from a forum. Good grief! WOW! This is a great throwdown brethren. Lucky us.:eusa_clap

Pork it is...

and I stand humbled by Rick!

Attachments

• Edgewood Comp.jpg
    Edgewood Comp.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 420
River City Smokehouse... one of the nicest pulled pork sandwich photos I've seen. Good work!

Howdy yall. My humble offering this week is Pork Loin Roulade. The stuffing is composed of caramelized Vidalia onions ,Granny Smith apples, dried and reconstituted apricots and cherries. Rolled and tied , covered in a thin paste of EVOO , fresh garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper , and a light dusting of one of my home made spice mixes.

P1010028.jpg

When it was done I glazed it with a mixture of pomegranate , honey and whole grain mustard. Here it is resting as I work…

P1010030.jpg

Plated with a bed of red potatoes that are roasted in EVOO, butter , fresh garlic and rosemary, sea salt and fresh ground pepper , sauced with the remaining glaze, with a side of Granny Smith apple / carrot slaw on a fan of Granny Smith apple slices .

P1010031.jpg

I can not get enough ..........Its tasty!

Rick

Ok, here's mine... and I have a witness... Pat from Patrick's Barbecue was here for dinner!...

Stuffed tenderloin with roasted cauliflower puree. I stuffed with sauteed mushrooms and caramelized onions, along with rosemary, thyme and sage from my garden.

The puree was cauliflower roasted with garlic and olive oil on the big green egg at 500 degrees for 20 minutes, then pureed with a wand blender with salt and pepper added.

The outside was seasoned with grey salt, fresh ground black pepper and ancho pepper for a sweet touch of heat. Cooked to 145 or so, rested and served on the puree.

I also had the same bread that Rick did, from the same fancy market. :) But that was just for the appetizer of smoked caprese salad.

2751396937_1801b1143b_o.jpg

2752229688_701196dcd2_o.jpg

2752370964_a197b16ea9_o.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, here's mine... and I have a witness... Pat from Patrick's Barbecue was here for dinner!...

Stuffed tenderloin with roasted cauliflower puree. I stuffed with sauteed mushrooms and caramelized onions, along with rosemary, thyme and sage from my garden.

The puree was cauliflower roasted with garlic and olive oil on the big green egg at 500 degrees for 20 minutes, then pureed with a wand blender with salt and pepper added.

The outside was seasoned with grey salt, fresh ground black pepper and ancho pepper for a sweet touch of heat. Cooked to 145 or so, rested and served on the puree.

I also had the same bread that Rick did, from the same fancy market. :) But that was just for the appetizer of smoked caprese salad.

ha! man, i love that place. great stuff curt! this is going to be a tough week of voting! :eusa_clap

RixCue, excellent cook! You are making this throwdown fantastic!!!! That looks great!

Before I could post, Curt throws his out! Awsome! Man this is good stuff! Tough throw-down on this great forum! I am so happy viewing such great meals!:biggrin:

rick I love the last pic with the bread in the background. Looks like a cookbook pic.

rick I love the last pic with the bread in the background. Looks like a cookbook pic.

Aside from having some really great cooks, The Brethren has some outstanding photographers on board. I feel for whoever has to make a final decision on this ThrowDown because it will be a tough one.

You guys are pullin' out all the stops this week...I need to figure out what prize to award that will top "Mother Nature's Scrub Brushes"...:twisted::twisted::twisted:

Back