The sad truth about honing steels!

Good thread. That said one should use the method that gives them good results, just like our Q. Doesn't matter what others say about ones Q just as long as the cook and family like it.

I hear you - but I suppose in this instance the method and style of using a honing rod that I discussed actually does damage to the knife. I guess that I would say that perhaps some (most) folks THINK they are using a method that gives good results, however, what is happening is that they are doing damage to a tool.

But I'm with you. I hate the notion of"purity" that is often associated with BBQ. You know, statements like, "That's not real BBQ." Real is what works for me - at least when it comes to smoking meat :becky:

I don't carry an expensive set of knives during competition. One reason is that I can't afford two expensive sets and the other is that I don't want to have to worry about losing or damaging one.

I've been using a ChefsChoice 120 sharpener to tune up my comp set a day or two before going. I can get a pretty respectable edge that holds at least through the weekend. Someday I would like to get proficient with hand sharpening but just have difficulty finding the time.

Oh yeah, the steel that came with the set went straight into the trash. I read somewhere else that they were complete junk.

Russ

I use an old smooth steel that predates me by a few decades, it was my grandmothers and if there ever were ridges, they are long gone. I have one of those useless ridged steel tools that I will find a use for someday. I used to have a few different ceramic rods that I have long since lost. I almost never steel my Japanese knives, although I will drag the back edge across the steel from time to time. One or two drags at most.

Most people, even butchers, cutters, chefs, have no clue how to use a steel or why.

They use it because someone told them to, or that's what they learned or so and so did and he was a great cutter, butcher, chef or .......

For 95% of knife users a steel of any kind just means more money for the the guy that really sharpens knives.

The slap happy whack whack truly is nonsense.

If you want a ceramic "steel" get a Idahone or ceramic 10" - 12" from Edge Pro. Follow Ben Dales directions for use of it and you won't go wrong. Go light and go slow is my motto.

I know people that have had there own smooth steels made on lathes and heat treated to 70RC. I got one and I refer to it as a burnisher, not a knife steel.

Back