Best Dutch Oven

I have a red enamel coated tramonita, It has held up very well. Probably my favorite pot or pan that I have in the kitchen.

I have Tratonita and Lodge and the former is my favorite as well. It has ribs on the inside of the lid that help keep the moisture in vs running down against the lid edge. Similar to the spike design on others but easier to clean. It also has a smooth edge, unlike the lodge which rests on only three raised points. The lodge still seals pretty well but the tratamonita is better.

On cleaning, apparently scrubbing the bejeezus out of it with bar keepers helper or comet isn't the answer. I screwed up the finish on the bottom of the lodge after were burned some food on. My wife (who could have shared the information earlier) told me to take boiling water and pour it into the cool pan and then wait a few minutes. Tried that and everything came right off.

Given the durability I don't have a problem paying for the higher end brands -- they are going to last a long, long time. That said, I think the difference in performance is minimal and more about whether you like the broader set of color options etc.

Best dutch oven? The time I ate a whole pan of beans, then climbed into bed with my wife for the nite. She sleeps wrapped up and under the covers completely! :boxing:

Cooks Illustrated did a test a few years back and Tramontina enameled came out on top for best value. Lots of options on Amazon for around $45, or a set of 2 for $70.

I purchased one from Costco years ago. It’s an enameled Dutch. It’s still in great shape with the exception of some staining, but cooks great.

Take a look at maximum temperatures on any you get. Some dutch ovens cook well right on coals. If you want to bake bread make certain it can handle the temperature.
So many things a DO can do that you are limited by if they have a low maximum temperature.

If you are seriously looking at Le Crueset, you HAVE to take a look at this - the Star Wars line...

star-wars-cookware-52.jpg

star-wars-cookware-5-5d9ef43067c23__700.jpg

star-wars-cookware-51.jpg

https://www.boredpanda.com/star-war...K8bC84VxaQ1zgzf91ympGadlr-d8z1PysLbIxA3zN9JsM

Back