First lump smoke, temps high

RamHemiTX

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I always seem to experiment when I shouldn't. I am using RO lump for the first time in my UDS at our Cub Scout campout. I opened the ball valve all the way and closed my 3 other intakes like I do for KBB when the temp hit 225. The drum usually gets up to 240 and cruises all day. So I loaded the meat and walked away to start the campfire. When I came back over ot had jumped to 300. So now the ball valve is almost closed and she does not want to go under 270. Has anyone else had this experience with lump in a UDS? Does lump just burn that much hotter?

I am keeping a close watch and I will get it under control. I had just hoped to start it and then go back to sleep before all 80 screaming kids got up this morning.

Gotta pack the lump in your fire basket really tight. Can't just pour it from the bag and lite it. Gotta arrange the pieces to minimize air gaps.

Yes lump burns hotter. I use magnets to cover my holes and sometimes I only have one opened less than 1/4 to keep it at 250* Once you get the hang of lump it works great. I usually just dump it in and don't have to many issues, maybe after 6-8 hrs might have to shake the drum so the lump packs tighter. Sometimes I just open the vent a little more and it brings the temp up also.

Every UDS is different. No matter what technique I used I could never get lump to burn right in mine. It just didn't matter what I did. So I juse Kingsford exclusively in mine.

If you have a pan you can fill with water, and place it on a rack over the fire that should help you control the temp a little.

I only use lump in my UDS. I love it. However, I had similar problems to you the first time I used it. Now I just never ever have more than 1.5 of my 3/4 in pipes opened at once. That way the temp never spikes up on me.

I have had good results with lump for grilling, but have a hard time smoking with it. The uniform size of briquettes seems to make it easier to get consistent heat.

CD

I use RO lump on my UDS. I fill the basket with limp and some smoke chunks. I use a weed burner to light part of the top just so the edges of some of the lump is red.
My inlet is a 2" pipe ( no bend over mod) I start fully open then clise halfway when the temp is about 150.
5152081594_0955f92f69.jpg

I gradually close as the temp rises and it will hold the set point for hours.

Back