Tuning plate clearance

stephan

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I just put together a tuning plate for my off set smoker, how much space should there be between the plate and the grates. Right now I have 2-1/2 inch. Thanks in advance for any help given

Mine are at 3 1/4 it looks.
But that's more because of the opening from the firebox to the cook chamber than any desired distance to the grate.

Last edited:
The more you can do the better, you will get what I call a thermal volcano effect on any food direct above the opening. With more space it will allow the heat to spread out. What is the size of your pit, you probably don't need the platesunless your pit is over 5ft in length or large diameter.

My smoker is 20x40 generally I dont need the plates but when I do a large smoke [ for me anyway ] and its full, the temp by the fire box is hotter than the back end. Im just trying to even the temp out when the smoker is full.

I built a smoker out of a 35 gallon propane tank and I made my grate to tuning plates distance a little bigger than the height of a disposable foil pan. I did that so I can cook beans or use it for a water tray. I have yet to do either one, but the option is there for me.

My smoker is 20x40 generally I dont need the plates but when I do a large smoke [ for me anyway ] and its full, the temp by the fire box is hotter than the back end. Im just trying to even the temp out when the smoker is full.

When mine does this it is usually because I have too large of a fire in the fire box and I have to shut the intake draft down which slows the air flow and makes the fire box side hotter. To cure this I build a smaller fire and open the intake draft which gives me more air flow and a hotter/smaller fire and pushes the heat across the cook chamber evenly. My cooker is 24" dia and 4 1/2ft long so you may give this a try to see if it works for you.

Back