Shack Attack BBQ Sauce Recipe

I use Texas Pete hot sauce in my version of Shack Sauce. Even though it's called "Texas" Pete, it's actually a North Carolina hot sauce.

I use Texas Pete hot sauce in my version of Shack Sauce. Even though it's called "Texas" Pete, it's actually a North Carolina hot sauce.

That's what I use also. I use the Hotter Texas Pete. Only comes in small bottle.

I noticed that I didn't share much about Shack. Shack was an African American BBQ cook born around 1840. He was asked to be the cook for a Virginia regiment during the Civil War. While he was just a cook, he demanded that he be allowed to carry a rifle. It turns out that he never fired his rifle but was often seen on the front lines picking up and carrying wounded soldiers to safety behind the lines and he never dropped his rifle a single time!

Those he saved were so incensed that he was denied the right to vote by authorities that they almost rioted. At the point of tears many of them demanded that Shack be allowed to vote even though he couldn't pay the polls tax as he "followed ol' Mars Bob (General Robert E. Lee) from Bethel to Appomattox." The authorities relented and signed Shack up to vote!

Now THAT's a great story! :thumb:

Let me be the 493rd person to ask: When's this book of yours coming out?

18 pages of responses for a hot sauce recipe! Crazy! Must be good stuff. I'll have to mix some up and let it settle for a while for use next week!

I have had some mellowing in my fridge for a few weeks now. It improves with age like a fine wine. I plan to use it on pulled pork this weekend.

I mixed some up tonight with no plans to use it any time soon. I used Louisiana hot sauce. Looking forward to seeing what the raving is all about!

Saw this mentioned in another thread. Going to make a batch tonight.

Thanks for the necro post - I had not seen this thread.
I had HEARD about Shack sauce, I had no idea it was Boshizzle's!
I am making some Shack sauce tomorrow!

Purgatory, inspired by this sauce and soon to be the first video in a seven day Pitmaster Video Festival, is actually a new obsession of mine. Here is why.... when I release "Purgatory Stout" sauce.... which is essentially a concentrate you place on standby (due to volume) to be "enhanced" later with water, you will see how I am going to be changing A LOT of my sauce recipes. The reason why is.... I typically make three individual and unique sauces when I do charity BBQ's.... what if you found a way to make a stout that has a common path to all three? Or even more.

That's the REVERSE of what some people do.... modify already "perfected" sauces.

For those that cross utilize... having say, 6 quarts of a Purgatory Stout (Shack) on standby... can get you easily to a Unique Hot Sauce (Full Strength), Mustard Sauce add Mustatrd and sugar, Sweet Red Sauce by adding Ketchup and sugar, glaze, by adding pectins, sugars etc, or vinegar sauce by adding water.

Digging the old Shack sauce thread up for this particular post. Did you ever go through with this idea? Sounds really interesting to me and I'd like to learn/read more about your results with it.

Saw a reference to Shack Attack in a thread about low carb sauce. Researching it I came across this thread. Deserves a bump for the new guys.

I'm gonna try this soon!

Yup this is a classic sauce. I make sure I have a bottle on hands at all times.

This is one of the few staples in BBQ pantry. Love this stuff, and have converted quite a few store bought sweet sauce fans by way of the Shack Attack.

I've made 3 or 4 batches in the past and it is good, something similar to it and even better than the Shack Attack sauces I have made anyways is Swamp Boys Bootleg Red, always keep a jar on hand.

I just saw this last evening and can't wait to make it

Back